1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sound Distortion in Top Speaker and over car Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saltyzip, Apr 23, 2012.

1. saltyzip

saltyzip Newbie

Hi,
    Since day one of purchase I've noticed the internal speaker at the top of the phone appears blown in most phone conversation, high levels of distortion whereby I have to turn the volume right down in the call to try and counter act it, or move the phone away from my ear.

I have no issues over the headset, no distortion at all, so it appears to be a speaker issue.

Secondly I used my Evo 3D for the first time on my cars in built bluetooth yesterday. I called two friends on their mobile and landlines and both complained of high robotic distortion of my voice, like the phone had amplified my voice to high frequencies their speakers couldn't deal with. The sound quality of my voice was too uncomfortable for them to listen to for any length of time.

I rebooted the phone and called them back, but it had no effect, same issue.

I have raised a support ticket with HTC, but any advice?
    I assume I will have to send the phone in for a repair :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Are you rooted and running a custom rom ?? if not then, have you done all your updates, and have you tried a Factory Reset, if your going to change the phone and bring it in, it won't hurt to give that a shot. The external speaker on the 3VO is not the best to start with, but I do not get the distortion mention, nor do I get that on BT

3. saltyzip

saltyzip Newbie

The phone isn't rooted

[Version Details]
    Android Version: 2.3.4
    HTC Sense: 3.0
    Software Number: 1.20.401.8

However I've just clicked check for update and it states there is one, so just about to download!

Will let you know how I get on.

Not sure what the software update did.. and it didn't ask me to reboot the phone either after install, albeit I have, version numbers are the same.

Perhaps the update had finished before I clicked to check original version numbers.

Will have to make a few calls and try via the car to see if it has had any affect.

fingers crossed.

4. marctronixx

what is the make and model of your car?

does your HU have setting to adjust BT volume? many cars have this in the HU's settings. verify if you have such settings.

some head units that have BT functionality built in may have Bluetooth stacks that are not 100% compatible with the handset.

you should go to your car makers' website, and see if they list handsets that they support. just because a cars HU has BT does not mean it is compatible with every handset/device out.

do you have any programs installed that can manipulate the BT volume? any 3rd party EQ apps or anything that can alter the sound and/or BT volume?

perhaps head to your local car dealer and try it on another car on the lot. OR if you have a friend who has BT , try it on theirs. on the surface it does not sound like the handset is at fault.

---

as for the blown speaker, its a good chance that it is damaged which would mean a trip to your local sprint corp service store...

5. js593

js593 Member

Bought myself a used 3d last night (used, unfortunatly has tags of water damage, but doesn't appear to have any issues), having a blast configuring this thing.

I came from a problematic Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. After countless issues, and Rogers literally telling me they will not replace the phone, they will not honor the warranty, and they will not give me a replacement unit, ive decided to start looking at filing a complaint with the BBB, in hopes that they will re-tune their attitude towards their customers.

Although... i could be in a tunnel dream.

Anyways.... This HTC is a thousand times better then the Captivate, and has far more options that are useful. My only single complaint so far, is the bluetooth issue with my 2011 Mazda 3. It seems that the high frequency issues that roam in other android devices are established in this one as well.

If anyone knows of a way to fix this, please tell me!!

Thanks!

6. marctronixx

js,

can you confirm if the phone is rooted or not?

have you done a factory reset? if you have any apps on board did you manually install them or did you use the google backup sync method to install?

to directly get to the issue you may be having, can you be more descriptive about the BT quality. is this happening over your cars BT when you are using calls or does it also affect audio streaming (if you car supports A2DP)?

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews