1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sound intermittently out on TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

This set runs on wifi. Most of the time it's ok, but twice the sound has quit. The first time we fixed it by unplugging the wifi and replugging it. That apparently doesn't work now. Yeah, it might be ready to give up the ghost, but there's no way to afford a new one.

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Wifi TV?
    Unplugging it and replugging it?
    You just need to unplug the power cord on your router, not the TV itself....
    And I don't even know how your sound setup is on your TV. Is the sound coming out of the TV directly or a soundbar?

ocnbrze, MoodyBlues and Rgarner like this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm sorry to be unclear. What I mean is unplugging the router. There is no sound bar. Maybe that would help.

4. Dannydet

This then sounds like a tv issue.
    How old is it and what make and model?

ocnbrze and Rgarner like this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I have no idea how old. It's a handmedown Samsung, PS BN64-02175A-00. It could very well be a TV problem, but then again the wifi's pretty lousy.

6. Dannydet

Please keep in mind that the sound issue is not because of Wi-Fi, as it looks like you are streaming video to the tv. If you are indeed getting video to the tv via wifi with no sound, it must be the tv speakers.
    Disconnect your TV from Wi-Fi, use the antenna only and test for sound...

Rgarner, ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.
  7. Dannydet

8. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Now it's not coming on, or barely. There's just a little bit of picture showing at the upper left, and it's very dark. We've shut it off for a while and unplugged it, but it doesn't seem to help. At least it still plays that beautiful little song.

9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Is this still that Samsung? Because it sounds like the LED back-light is failing. And given the sound problems you previously reported. I think you might need a new TV

Dannydet and Rgarner like this.
  10. Yep start shopping for a new one, that is not really repairable. Well technically it is but it's not practical or cost-effective and there aren't any more TV repair shops as these things are disposable. Repair cost to the consumer would equal or exceed the price of a new set.

11. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

There's gotta be a fix. I can't afford a new one. "Not a millionaire" doesn't begin to cover it. Besides, I don't want to be spied on by some "smart" tv.

12. Nope there isn't, sorry. This stuff is designed to be disposable not repairable.
    I have the knowledge and skills to fix something like this but if it were mine I'd still toss it and buy a new one. For the cost/time/effort involved it's just not worth it.
    If you buy a TV with "smart" features and don't want to use them, just don't connect it to the internet. Problem solved.

13. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I guess that would be a good deal but it's out of stock. Maybe I should tell them to let me know when it's available. I just hope it lasts longer than this, less than a year (though used and, yes, free).

Dannydet likes this.
  14. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

What's the difference between adding Roku to a TV and having a Roku TV? Netflix doesn't depend on either one, I guess, just wifi. I found some relatively cheap sets and am wondering which way to go. Is there a particular brand that's better? It'd be great to have a 40 or 50 inch tv.

15. Functionally it's the same, the Roku TV has the Roku player built in so you don't need an external device. Personally I prefer to keep such devices separate so they can be chosen/upgraded/replaced independently. That way you can select each one based on features, price etc. and if one fails you don't have to replace everything.
    As for TV's I would suggest sticking with the major brand names vs. the really cheap ones, you do get what you pay for. A quick search on the specific model #'s that you are considering should turn up a bunch of reviews to read.

Rgarner likes this.