• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sound is not coming out of my tv....(TV hooked up to Computer)

Familyguy1

Android Enthusiast
May 9, 2010
Gallatin, TN
Hey Guys. So I recently(today) got a new computer, and I got a TV to act as my monitor. Well I got everything set up correctly except for the Audio. I have an HDMI cable set up so the picture is coming through but there is no sound coming through from my PC to my TV. When I plug in my headphones into the jacks, I can hear sound fine. I have tried everything I could think of my the PC end and the TV end.

Its Windows 7 as well.
Much appreciated if you can help!

Thanks guys!

I should backtrack - do you have a decent video card in the system or are you using onboard video that came with your computer?

If you have a video card (like, say, a GTX260) then it has a post on top of the video card where you connect an audio cable from your audio board / motherboard audio to the video card so the sound can be re-routed through the HDMI port on the video card.

If you are using an onboard video card with onboard HDMI, then check your motherboard to see if something similar is required.

Upvote 0
So the connector on your computer is dvi? And you are converting that to hdmi, if so dvi does not support audio at all you need a dedicated hdmi port and the audio routed to the port. If you have a surround sound system you can hook the audio to it. My hdtv has a dvi and vga port the tv lets me choose another pport on the tv for audio when I hook my computer up to it.

Upvote 0
Your may have problem with your speaker plug cable. You can check it with any multi meter. I hope it will help you.

He specifically said he's using HDMI - which integrates audio and video channels into a single cable. Which is why he said

Because his issue was that he was using a DVI to HDMI, and DVI does not carry audio signals - so he was not getting any audio. So, checking the audio pins in the HDMI cable are definitely going to report that there is no signal. So, in this case, the symptom (no signal on audio lines) is not necessarily the result of the cause as you suggest (cable is bad).

He know the issue, and knows the solution. let's let him get the right cable and see if it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones