• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sound issues with LG Optimus M!

So recently I bought an LG Optimus M from this guy on Craiglist. He used the phone for about 2 months, for basic things like calling, texting, and light web browsing. But suddenly one day the sound stopped working. I bought the phone for $30 since I want to use it as a wifi only device for music, apps, games, internet, and videos. The phone was on the default ROM with no user downloaded apps.

So when I got the phone, whenever I would adjust the ringer volume, the earpiece would start to make this weird hissing/vacuum noise. This would go on until the phone was restarted.

The speaker and mic don't work. Music and videos simply don't play any sound. Google voice search says no sound was heard. Using earphones (apple earphones with mic and remote) didn't help either, but I noticed the phone recognized when earphones were removed, by auto-pausing videos.

I thought it might be a kernel problem, so I rooted it and installed Cyanogen 7.1 (CM7). This didn't fix the problem.

After sometime though, I went to record a video. I opened it on the computer and noticed the sound recorded too o_o ! I then tested out my earphones, and well what do you know, they worked! Well, the left side was fine but the right side had really low volume. (they worked fine on other devices though). So something is weird about this phone.

After an hour the problem came back again. And I noticed something, there is a headset icon on the status bar, indicating that a headset is plugged in, yet I have nothing plugged in and no bluetooth devices connected.

Help? D: For the most part I at least want earphones to work on it ...

First check under the battery cover and see if the phone is water damaged, if so then the issue is most likely irreversible, but don't feel let down as 30 dollars is still a steal for the phone, also, I have sound issues with cm7 so maybe you can try the sense rom and see if that solves your issue. (I say sense because it is the only other rom I have used personally) those are just a couple things to try for now, keep posting results and there are many people here who will keep posting trouble shooting techniques. Good luck and hopefully you can fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones