• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sound quality and signal sucks on the EPIC

It's kind of random, on the road and at locations that I've never had drop calls before. I don't even remember if I had this many drop calls in the past with any of my phone. I'm in an area where sprint signal is pretty much 4 bars most of the time. Funny is that in my bedroom I get 1 bar in my living room I get 4 bars.

Which to me seems that the design of this phone reception is easily interfered?

Upvote 0
My first Epic had drop calls left and right all outside all with 4 or more bars. No drop calls yet on 2nd Epic, but signal strength still sucks. It's still going up and down and can never seem to get a lock on the signal. Even airplane mode won't help. Only good news is, it's not totally dropping the signal and picking it up again like the first Epic.

The sound quality is pretty nice, alot louder and clearer then the my old Evo. My only issues besides the signal is it's seems to lag alot more then my first Epic. Those two issues I can live with for now. I'm pretty sure froyo will fix the lag issue.

Upvote 0
Interesting responses, thanks.

Is there a way to perma/force roam on the Epic 4G? Or is this something that requires rooting? It could potentially save my bacon when I'm forced to take or receive calls at home--otherwise I'm afraid I may need an Airave or have to pray Sprint are actually upgrading the network around here (skeptical).

Upvote 0
I'm getting dropped calls left and right on this damn phone. Everything else about it is perfect but what's a phone when you can barely use it to talk?

Does anyone think this would be an easy fix or the EVO is the way to go?
I'm in Beaverton, OR. I am on my second Epic 4G. The first one which I got 6 days ago was dropping calls frequently, challenged voice quality (earpiece) and intermittent GPS lock. I exchanged the phone for a replacement yesterday. The new one still has challenges getting a good signal. I am assuming there is a problem with the radio section of this phone. I carry 2 phones with Sprint (one for personal and one for work). The other one is a Motorola Photon. It has had zero problems with signal. Therefore, I am convinced this is not related to Sprint towers but the phone itself. I really hope there is a fix for this because I otherwise love this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones