• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sound Settings > Notification > Force Close

gwardell

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
My phone seems to have developed this little problem.

The notification tone is not playing and when i go into the Sound settings and touch notification ringtone I get com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly.

I am guessing that the notification sound file is missing. But how can I reset it if I can't get into the settings???

I could use the root browser or terminal emulator to edit the settings directly, if I knew what file and setting to change.

I'm running
Android version 2.3.3
System Version 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.us
Kernel Version 2.6.32.0-g34b306d tkwp86@ca25rhe81 #2

Had problem that was pretty much the same issue and here is how I
solved it. This may not be the issue you are having, but just a thought and
this is something I had posted in another forum when I was seeking help:

In case any one else may ever have this issue, this is how I got it sorted out:
I went into 'Settings' - 'Sound' - 'Notification' and made sure ringtone was selected.
I then opened 'Text Messaging' - pushed the 'Settings' button on the phone and Messaging Settings.
Scrolled down to 'Notification Settings' and opened 'Select Ringtone' and made sure I selected the same
ringtone that was selected in 'Settings' 'Sound' sent a text from my phone and success!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones