1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Source For Downloading .APKs: Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by PeteCress, Oct 16, 2014.

1. PeteCress

PeteCress Android Enthusiast

I am rebuilding my tablet in order to recover from a major WiFi problem and, as I go, want to download the .APK for each app I install, then install from the .APK, and keep all the .APKs on a NAS box against the day when I have to do this again.

Right now, I'm just Google-ing appnames/versions and taking the first plausible hit.

But it seems like I'm asking to get burned doing this - malware and all that.

Can anybody recommend sources they know and trust?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Why not just download them from the play store and then back them up with one of the many apps available for this purpose?

Crashdamage, DonB and mikedt like this.
  3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

^^^ This is the best way to do it as Lord mentioned IMO

4. PeteCress

PeteCress Android Enthusiast

Obviously the best method - but I did not realize it was possible. Assumed the .APK went "Poof" once the app was installed.

Thanks... I will get on it.

Do you have one or more preferred apps for that purpose? My experience with backup utilities under Windows is that they all "Back Up".... but that the rubber meets the road with it's time to restore.

Is Titanium Backup one of them?

Also, it looks like RerWare's "MyBackupPro" might be a serious commercial effort.

??

5. Lordvincent 90

Don't let the name fool you, this does quite a bit more than uninstall system apps. :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rootuninstaller.free

Most importantly regarding this topic, it will back up an app as an apk (instead of taring it like titanium)

Edit- you may want to hold of on using this for the time being... Or at least you shouldn't use it to remove any bloat until it's updated. It seems a recent update has caused a problem where the list is off by one and you may end up uninstalling the wrong app (according to the comments)

I'll look around for a suitable alternative :)

6. Lordvincent 90

funkylogik and John Bean like this.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Helium can backup apks even if unrooted.

funkylogik and Lordvincent 90 like this.