• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Source" in Contacts & syncing

A1Dan

Jan 15, 2010
Right, I'm really confused about this...

I've just noticed that a handful of my contacts in my phone don't sync with Outlook. They are ones I have manually added to the phone since first syncing in all my contacts.

On close inspection I noticed that all these are listed with "exchange" as the source when I look in "people", which makes no sense to me.

All the others are listed as "Phone". this seems entirely backwards!

How do I get these to sync? Can I change the source?

I've never heard of Exchange contacts before. I've only ever seen Phone, Google or Sim contacts. Do you use Microsoft Exchange email synching?

I think you've identified the problem anyway; the outlook sync is designed to sync Phone contacts, so I guess it won't sync Exchange ones. Those contacts are probably being synced with the Exchange servers in stead.

I don't think it's possible to change a contacts type (or source) without the aid of an app. So you could either manually re-enter all the contacts, making sure to make the Phone contacts, or find an app that will do it for you.

EDIT: Actually, maybe you should give this a try. Again, I'm still assuming you have a Microsoft Exchange account. You should be able to export the contacts from the exchange website and import them to the phone. (Again, you'd have to find an app that would import them).

Upvote 0
Cheerss Xyro. I actually just manually set-up the missing contacts in outlook, and then did a "copy all from outlook to phone" sync, so they are now all in there as "phone".

I sync my work (exchange) email via activesync, but I've never had this set to sync contacts. I sync a local outlook PST (over USB) which contains my personal contacts with my phone, via .

Some of the problematic handful that were showing up as "exchange" were work contacts, which I also have in my local PST / phone, but would also be in the company directory on exchange, which kind of gives a clue, if not a very clear one.

But the other few were stuff like the new chinese take-away in my village which I know for a fact I entered manually into the phone only a few days ago, and would definitely not be listed in our company directory!

All pretty odd, will see how it goes going forwards...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones