1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Source: Samsung Will Not Lock Bootloaders Unless Google Requires It

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Apr 17, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot
    None

Apr 12, 2008
    Well isn’t this just a reassuring rumor? Supercurio – an Android developer – claims to have spoken with an inside source at Samsung who told him that the company will not use encrypted and locked bootloaders unless Google requires them to. Samsung has always approached Android with an open mindset and I’m glad to hear [...]

More...

Advertisement

2. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Now that the dev world has my Captivate running the way it should I have no issues with Samsung. I'll bet this is a goodwill gathering move on their part, however, many are extremely unhappy with them still. Good move on their part, I hope they stick to it.

Is Google going to try to dictate locked bootloaders? I hope not. Way to piss off everyone - then again, they went from 24 hours (too long) to 15 minutes (assininely short) with no recourse, so what's to stop them from doing this?

3. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Google is actually supporting the open bootloader idea. It is up to manufacturers on how to handle things: some are on open path (like SE), some are neutral (like Samsung), and some choose the Dark Side (like HTC and Motorola).

4. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    I think this is an issue with carriers not manufacturers.

The carrier does not want you messing with their device especially since most people are not buying the device, they are essentially getting it on credit.

I would support a lock on the device that can be removed if you buy the device outright OR if you could buy out the device by going month to month.
    (ETF without cancelling service sort of thing)

I also think the radio software should not be tinkered with... that should remain closed.
    You can jack up a base station if you fool with that... and I don't think any of us that root and install custom roms care about the radio anyhow.

5. Drhyde

Drhyde Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2009
    Kitchen prep...in hell...
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Here's the rub though: If I buy the phone unlocked or at full price, the carrier should not be able to dictate what I do with it. Your right with the whole unlock idea on buying phones, but the carriers don't want custom ROMs at all. Anything that cuts into their double-dipping (tethering, hotspot), reduces potential secondary sales (bloatware apps), or just plain can't be troubleshooted or warrantied, they will stop at nothing to prevent. I've even read stories of the carriers trying to actively prevent rooting at all in the future with all sorts of wonderful tactics.

As far as Google goes, if they think locked bootloaders are a good thing, I can assure you I won't be using Android anymore. That will be the day that Google has totally went against the entire idea of open source. Not very open source when you can't even install or test custom ROMs on your phone.

I don't deal with the custom radio builds, but when new ones come out from the manufacturers, I flash immediately. There's almost always improvements in them.