• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Space Problem? Deleting Photos?

I don't know if you've done the factory reset yet but here are my two cents.
It sounds like you are experiencing typical 4.42 SD card issues.
First the ghost apps:
The ghost app icons are happening because the app was installed to the SD card prior to the 4.42 update and now the security features don't recognize their location. When you re-installed them the system now knows where to find all of the files because the default is to install to internal memory.

Missing pictures
The icon you are seeing is caused by what sreum described. An app that is not updated to 4.42 specs was used to move or delete the photo and now the system doesn't know they were deleted or where to find them so the generic icon shows up for each photo.

Here are my suggestions. Go into the built in camera app and set it to save to the SD card. To clear the generic pic icons, use the build My Files app to navigate to and delete those pics. To avoid that problem in the future, only use the build in gallery, My Files or other app that you know is built to work with 4.42.

As far as saving space on the internal memory, I feel that you are better off leaving apps on internal memory and keeping media files on the external SD card. Since most apps are rarely over a few hundred mb, there is plenty of space on internal memory for these. Media such as pics, video & music on the other hand can take up a lot of space so they are better suited to keep on the external SD card. The exception being sound files used for ringtones or notifications and pics used for backgrounds. They are better kept on internal memory where the system can get to them at all times.

My two cents

Reactions: ShelaghDB
Upvote 0
I don't think that is it to be honest. I think for some reason, I have run out of space on my phone card and its not putting stuff on the 32 gig SD card although from all I can see it works perfectly.

I have an app called CLEAN MASTER....( i hope its ok) and it keeps telling me i am out of space and need to delete.
I havent rooted this phone so as we all know, Samsung puts a lot of bloatware on their phones. its the price one pays for a Samsung phone which are so good otherwise.

I need to find out IF I can put apps onto my SD Card or not?
I will have to look back over this thead to see if anyone has answered that yet.

At this point i don't even have mp3s on my phone but this is starting to really aggravate me, whats happening with the phone.

Just yesterday, I had to take about 20 photos. I meant to delete them after but first thing is morning I was told i was out of space and if offered me all these files I could delete.

Which is great but nothing seems to be going onto the 30 GIG SD card so I am not sure why i bought one for this phone, at this point..

That said, maybe your $0.02 are right and i am not?
I can't say for sure either way but will look at that and see if it is ;-)

thanks

Upvote 0
If that's the case, it's a good possibility that your SD card is not compatible with the phone. There are different speed and types of SD cards available. And when you purchase a SD card you have to make sure the loading speed of the card and the type of the card is compatible with the phone.

Well now, thats pretty interesting and at the same time a bit infuriating for for I have asked this question, and one other similar one, that would have required that same answer over the past few months and this is the first time I have heard this.
It would seem that a lot of people besides myself aren't ware of that.
Infuriating if so for no phone store has mentioned anything about this when I've purchased one.

I don't seem to be having much luck with SD cards and this phone then.

I first bought a Kingston one, 32 gigs and it does not, nor ever has worked.
Unfortunately by the time I got around to opening it up and installing it, a month or two had passed and I hadn't ay idea where the receipt was so I still have it but it doesn't work.
( i just tried it out again ow to see if i was per chance wrong the first time and magically it was going to work right now but that never does work now does it? LOL ) ;-(

So yes, looking at this one, it looks like a cheaper named brand.
I do remember having bought it at a Public Mobile store. I don't know where you are located but I am in Toronto and here Public Mobile, just recently went under so it was likely a cheaper 32 gig card i bet /sigh

It seems to be called CORE MICRO

/looking to see if it works with the Samsung Galaxy S4

THANK YOU FOR THAT, NOW I KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR A NEW CARD

Upvote 0
AeolianReflex might partly be right. This, below, sounds right.

I don't know if you've done the factory reset yet but here are my two cents.
It sounds like you are experiencing typical 4.42 SD card issues.
First the ghost apps:
The ghost app icons are happening because the app was installed to the SD card prior to the 4.42 update and now the security features don't recognize their location. When you re-installed them the system now knows where to find all of the files because the default is to install to internal memory.

I am going to go and give his idea a try first. On second thought it could be it. So let me try this first and if that doesn't help then i will look at buying a new SD card.
If it comes to that I will look up which ones are compatible and I will try it in the store before i leave, so as to be sure it does work.

Thanks for all the answers, right or wrong.
I will post back in about a day or two when I have time to work with it.. ;-)

Unfortunately I have so much on hand right now to do that i just can't get to this right away but between all the answers here, one of them must be right. I have not only all my hardware to look after but the hubbies as well so I will get to this in a few days if not sooner and once i know, I will post the answer back here

I will start with BRAINZ2013's ideas and then work down the list if one isn't right. Have been trying to get this done for over a week but i had another hard ware issue that came up and had to be dealt with first and am almost finished---then on to this

Upvote 0
Wait. ...... Before doing a factory reset, first try a formatting of the SD card. I'm not sure if you did that yet. The option to do that is in most if not all Androids that have a SD card.

What it will do is wipe all data of the card, then reformat it to work properly with your Android device.

LOL I only WISH i had the time to work that quickly.....nevertheless, thanks but i have done it once already and no, it didnt help one bit, unfortunately.

Thanks though :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones