1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Spaced out icons

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pablo56, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Pablo56

Pablo56 Newbie

New to this forum. Hi I have upgraded from a samsung galaxy Tab-E Android 4.4.4 to
    Alba 10.1 Inch 32GB HD Android 10

First tearing hair moment was that My PC recognized it as a mobile phone but I couldent do anything. This was down to No data transfer option. Select file transfer worked but every time I pluged it in, I had to repeat the process.
    I was told on some website to go to settings, Scroll down to about and tab 7 times to enter developer mode. I don't understand that bit.

Now I am facing icons that don't like each other. They have to be apart on my screen by nearly 2 inches apart. Flick up to reveals installed apps and I get 5 rows of only 4 icons.

On my old tablet go to emails. There I can add account after account switch between accounts and even combine them. Also can't get an AOL account but can get a googlemail account?

Any help on these issues please. This is a new tablet and I am trying to get to grips with a jump from Android 4.4 to 10 but this is driving me nutts.

PS. There is no Alba 10.1 in your list of tablets.

#1 Pablo56, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    mikedt likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

"Alba"? Last time i hear of that that brand, it looked something like this. That played records and had a radio built-in. Commonly known as a radiogram.
    $_86.JPG

As the orignal Alba is long defunct, I guess it's some Chinese phone or tablet you've got there.

Madd61, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Is AOL actually still active?

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Install a different launcher from the play store, such as Nova launcher, which will give you the option to space your icons as you want.

dontpanicbobby, ocnbrze and PitCarver like this.
  5. Pablo56

Pablo56 Newbie

Thanks for that. I use the android phone and occasionaly the tablet. Can you explain simply what this Nova Launcher is and how these things work please. I am a Windows PC man and understand these things. I thick it is daft that an old Android tablet 4.4 can have closed up icons 8 across but the lates is only 4 across

6. Dannydet

It is a launcher, which controls your home screen. Your stock launcher is installed by default by the manufacturer.
    So the play store has many many apps that you can install and customize your device with. Just open the play store app and do a search for Nova launcher. One option inside the settings of Nova launcher is to choose your home screen grid spacing, among many other options. Set Nova as your default launcher and you are good to go

7. Pablo56

Pablo56 Newbie

Thanks I have done thabut it keeps reverting back. I.E. when I go to the playstore to download something or when I re-boot.

8. Dannydet

Are you logging in to the play store with your Gmail account?
    If not that is your issue.
    And once apps are installed, they cannot be overridden.
    You can do this on any android device, btw

PitCarver likes this.
  9. Pablo56

Pablo56 Newbie

Managed to make it the default. Thanks.

Alba_8in Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews