• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Spaced/overlapping text font in Google apps

AhmedDeko

Lurker
Jun 13, 2021
Hello,
It's been like 3 weeks since I started seeing weird font problems that only appeared in Google apps, basically the text is either spaced where there's a huge white space between the first letter and the rest of the word, or overlapping where the words appear on top of each other, I also noticed that in Google chrome and google feed page it only happens to the titles of the search results, as for the rest of the apps it happens to random text. I'll include some screenshots for better visualization. Around the time this started I vaguely remember doing some system update and some Google apps updates. I'd very much appreciate any help in resolving this issue. Thank you.
-Info:
Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro
Android Version: 10
Emui Version: 11.0.0
Google build Version: 12.19.11.23.arm64
Screenshot_20210604_232310.jpg
Screenshot_20210604_234958.jpg

Hello,
It's been like 3 weeks since I started seeing weird font problems that only appeared in Google apps, basically the text is either spaced where there's a huge white space between the first letter and the rest of the word, or overlapping where the words appear on top of each other, I also noticed that in Google chrome and google feed page it only happens to the titles of the search results, as for the rest of the apps it happens to random text. I'll include some screenshots for better visualization. Around the time this started I vaguely remember doing some system update and some Google apps updates. I'd very much appreciate any help in resolving this issue. Thank you.
-Info:
Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro
Android Version: 10
Emui Version: 11.0.0
Google build Version: 12.19.11.23.arm64View attachment 157807 View attachment 157808

Yeh, try restarting the device.
Did you install any custom fonts from the EMUI Themes store? If so, maybe it's buggy.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply both of you, but yeah i already tried rebooting the device, clearing the cache of google apps and google services, as for the font size and the themes, as far as i remember i didn't change either when the issue started appearing, the only thing that happened around that time were app updates and system update, but regardless i still tried to change the font size to a bigger and smaller size, i also tried a different custom font from the EMUI Themes store, unfortunately the issues still presisted in both senarios.
The only thing i can think of right now that could be the culprit behind this is the updates that happened to the apps and the system, but i'm guessing if that was the case a lot of people would have discussed it on multiple forums by now, so basically i ran out of ideas and i'm open to and would appreciate any suggestions.

Upvote 0
yeah i think that would probably fix it, but i was hoping to leave that as a last resort, because backing up the data, doing the factory reset, restoring the data, resetting up the phone and adding all the accounts back can be a bit of a pita, so since this issues is only on google apps, i was hoping the solution would only affect Google apps, like maybe is there a way to do a refresh or a fresh install of all of googles apps and services?

Upvote 0
yeah i think that would probably fix it, but i was hoping to leave that as a last resort, because backing up the data, doing the factory reset, restoring the data, resetting up the phone and adding all the accounts back can be a bit of a pita, so since this issues is only on google apps, i was hoping the solution would only affect Google apps, like maybe is there a way to do a refresh or a fresh install of all of googles apps and services?

As Huawei devices like the Mate 20 don't come with Google apps and services in their EMUI firmware(thank you Donald Trump), and they will all be deleted if you factory reset it. What versions were you actually using?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You mean the versions of the google apps and services? here they are:
-Google : 12.19.11.23.arm64
-Google Play Store : 25.7.22-21 [0] [PR]
-Google Play Services : 21.21.16
-Google Chrome : 90.0.4430.210
-Youtube : 16.22.35
There are some other google apps but they're not as important.
also 2 things to note:
-I can't find any messed up text in the youtube app anywhere. so maybe this bug doesn't affect the youtube app.
-My Mate 20 pro came with Google apps and services pre-installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones