• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spam Calendar Appointments

TonyMan13

Feb 13, 2013
I have a RAZR MAX, use Hotmail, and the email client that came with the phone. Recently, I have started getting calendar appointments send that are definitely spam - "Hello My Dearest", etc, you know the kind. They do not show up in Hotmail on my computer or my Kindle Fire HD.

I am trying to figure out why they are only on the phone & how to stop them.

Thanks

You say "calendar appointments", so are they appearing in a google calendar linked to your account?

I'd log in to that google account from a web browser and check (a) whether mails are going to that (if you've not reading the GMail on your phone, using hotmail instead, maybe you'd not see them) and (b) that your Google calendar settings are not set to automatically add invititations to your calendar.

Upvote 0
I see what you are saying, but am confused by "Google Calendar". Are you referring to the Calendar app that came with the phone? If so, I checked out the setup and there are no options concerning invitations. I have a Gmail account, but I do not really use that. I went and looked at it anyway and I do not see anything there referring to a Calendar. I searched and found a Google calendar for my PC, but, to download that I also have to take some toolbar that I don't need. Where would I actually look?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Look in your accounts and sync settings on the phone, and check the Google/GMail account there. Is Calendar syncing enabled?

If so, go to google.com on a web browser (easier on a computer than a phone), and in the little black bar at the top there will be the word "calendar". Click on that and sign in using the google account you use on your phone. Then check the "settings" (little icon on the far right of the screen, then select it in the pull down). One of the settings is "automatically add invitations to my calendar". If this is set to yes then any spammer could just send invites to that google account and if calendar syncing is enabled they could show up on your phone automatically. I leave it on "no, only invitations to which I have replied".

Reactions: Kouterm and Harry2
Upvote 0
I don't have a GMAIL account on the phone, but I believe I found some more info. I just noticed a new Calendar invite showing up on the phone. The invitation was also in my junk folder on my PC. I hadn't noticed there were invites in there previously and I typically use Hotmail to just empty that folder, and so they do not show in my email on the PC. However, I do not show my junk folder on my phone. There is also a one way sync issue between my calendar on the phone & the PC, so the messages just stay in the calendar as awaiting some kind of action. I am going to try adding my Junk mail folder to the phone to if I delete them there, will they also be deleted from the phone.

Thanks again for investigating this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones