• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spam Email going to text app

Okay. So way back in 2014, I got a new phone and a new phone number; with the new phone number came a peculiar glitch, I was getting text messages, that had no number. It's been 3 years, and I've tried everything to STOP the emails text from hitting my phone. apparently the email spam text is linked to this other local guys account. And it's his voicemail I'm getting. I end up calling this fella only to find out he has no idea why I'm getting his emails through a .com site called my.ooma.com. So this was step number 2,9,11. Call my.ooma.com and see if they can remove my phone number from the listing. I call them and my number is not attach to any accounts that have to do with my.ooma.com. So I've tried calling the guy who was receiving the messages, I've tried calling the company that the emails are supposedly coming from. I've tried blocking the emails but can't because it doesn't have a number attached because it's an email account: notify@ooma.com and I've tried unlinking it from my Gmail and google account with no luck. I've tried calling my mobile carrier (GoSmartMobile/SimpleMobile/ Gets it's service through T-Mobile towers). I've tried forwarding the "multi-media" text messages over to one of the numbers that are supposed to stop the spamming. but to no luck, they keep coming back like a virus. I will say that I did prevail in stopping the text with my old phone (Galaxy s6 edge) but I have long forgotten how I did that, and the feature I used to do it, may just be gone. I have come to the conclusion that this spam email text thingy is attached to my phone number or sim card and not to my phone, email, or GoSmartMobile/SimpleMobile account. Can someone please sms (Save my soul), it has been a long, a treacherous battle. If there are any solutions I haven't tried, please contact me. It would be lovely to know someone on this rocky, blue earth is experiencing the same woes I am. I need comfort in these trying times :(.
TL;DR
the spam email's name is notify@ooma.com it sends voice mails to my stock messaging app and it has plagued me for 3 years. I believe it to be attached to my phone number or sim card, and I've tried everything I could think of. HELP.

This wont stop the texts, but...

Textra lets you hide/block texts from numbers and emails:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra

Your phone still receives the text but you wont see it or be notified.

When viewing a text tap the down arrow on the upper right corner, tap the 3 dot menu, then tap Blacklist. No more texts from that number/email will show up.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
This wont stop the texts, but...

Textra lets you hide/block texts from numbers and emails:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra

Your phone still receives the text but you wont see it or be notified.

When viewing a text tap the down arrow on the upper right corner, tap the 3 dot menu, then tap Blacklist. No more texts from that number/email will show up.
Good idea but I was hoping to no install another messaging app on my phone. I mean I figured it out, and I got the messages to stop, but I don't remember how...

Upvote 0
Here's the alternative suggestion: –
Go to the ooma.com website and click on login.
When the login window opens, type in your phone number and then click on "forgot my password." If they have an account link to you they will text or email you the password. Obviously they do have your phone number. At that point you can login to this account, cancel it etc. etc.
Tried that, ooma wants both a phone number and an email address. When j tried to put in my email address, Ooma said it was invalid.

Upvote 0
Damn! Sorry to hear that. I presume you have also tried the Chat feature on their website. It might be the only way to get their attention.
I tried that first, then they directed me to customer service on the phone. Customer service got their "supervisor" on the line, and the supervisor said my number is not on their roster! so yeah. I'm thinking about getting a new number. that should solve it :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones