• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spare Parts App: (You) Do Want

W4LLY

Android Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2009
NYC
This app is great. It allows you to make the Window Animations and the Transition animations faster. (So that when you switch to landscape mode, it snaps right away just like an iPhone. I've noticed some lag before installing and switching this on.)

It will also give you a read out on your battery usage, similar to what the Moto Droid comes natively I think.

This app is great. It allows you to make the Window Animations and the Transition animations faster. (So that when you switch to landscape mode, it snaps right away just like an iPhone. I've noticed some lag before installing and switching this on.)

It will also give you a read out on your battery usage, similar to what the Moto Droid comes natively I think.

Awsome app man! And yes, that is the same info you can get by saying "battery info" to the phone.

Upvote 0
THANKS!!! works like a charm. i love the eris, but i have to say that i've been getting really pissed about that lag time! seems like there is an app for everything!

download "home"
it has a little green house for the icon and it may be the first app that comes up after you search.
it does "something" to the memory allocation and it speeds the phone up significantly!
when u launch it, it just says allocating memory or something similar to that.
after you see that it should be much snappier from there on.

Upvote 0
I'd seen other comments for 'home' over the last few days, and when you read the comments in the Market it certainly seems like it would do nothing, or is some sort of a trick. But I just bit the bullet and installed it (Look at Aleis, would that face lie?!?). It really does make a difference. And it's not 'I think that might be faster' but 'WOW, that is way faster'. It maybe eating my phone slowly from the inside out, but right now it certainly seems to be speed things up.

Upvote 0
Love that in Spare Parts you can set the 'End' key to go to home on the first press, then sleep on second. This seems so much more intuitive. I was still not used to the End key not being the default button to 'close' everything and get back to the home screen like most phones. This is very cool...

Upvote 0
Love that in Spare Parts you can set the 'End' key to go to home on the first press, then sleep on second. This seems so much more intuitive. I was still not used to the End key not being the default button to 'close' everything and get back to the home screen like most phones. This is very cool...

thanks for the tip.

I installed spare parts and it seems nice for the Eris, not so sure about this Home app though I'd like to know what it is actually doing.

Upvote 0
I couldn't resist anymore and tried the home app this morning. I'm not sure if it makes any difference to be honest it could be a placebo. When you run it a message comes up saying it is optimizing the memory and I guess it keeps doing this all the time in the background. I would think if the developer seriously had something discovered that improves performance they'd be more than happy to share what it does.

Upvote 0
I have to admit, when I first installed the Home app, it seemed to speed things up like magic. While it still seems to do something, now after a few days, it seems to make things a tiny bit sluggish. After opening Home and closing it, my screens dont switch as smooth as they did before opening Home. I tried this a few times, each after rebooting my phone. I dont know....I still have it though because it did work great at one point.

Spare Parts is great.

Upvote 0
So what exactly is the difference between "window animations" and "transition animations"? The default for "transistion" was "off". I can't seem to tell a difference if i switch it to normal.

Also, when I'm using "battery history" and "usage statistics", what exactly am I looking for? How do you prefer to sort when you hit the menu for each?

I guess I'm looking to see how people use Spare Parts and what they look for. I've only used it to check battery, but I'd like to explore more of its functions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones