1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Spare Parts App: (You) Do Want

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by W4LLY, Dec 1, 2009.

1. hrbib21

hrbib21 Android Expert

Wow. I never touched "Transition animations" before. It makes the change from Portrait to Landscape instantaneous. Awesome.

Advertisement

2. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Android Enthusiast

What did you set it to? I changed mine to Fast and Off, and neither are "instantaneous". I actually don't even notice a difference. Turning the "fancy rotation" on doesn't seem to affect the time either. Between the fading and the animation, they both seem to take the same amount of time (usually 1-2 seconds).

3. This maid my Eirs run a lot faster

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Once that question gets answered I might install it (spare parts). There seems to be slightly mixed reviews about it (the transition from portrait to landscape, one of my pet peeves about the Eris as I've seen it so fast in other devices, even my kid's iPod).

5. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Android Enthusiast

Same thing here. I tried Fast and Off, and there was no difference. Also, the transition animations are normally off correct? I have mine set to off, even though it looks cool with the windows sliding in.

Home is completely broken so I can't say if that will help or not.

6. addong

addong Lurker

PPL you have to set BOTH animations to FAST and run on either 1.5 or 1.6 (Dev hasn't updated yet for 2.0/2.1 unfortunately... ) so that sounds like it may be the prob for some out there.
    Im running it with GDE and it works like a charm! Super Fast and totally gets rid of lag..
    TRY GDE w Spare Parts!

7. Yosef

Yosef Member

What exactly does Transition Animation do? I set it to "Fast" and I don't see any difference. I'm really wanting to improve the portrait to landscape switch. Does Spare Parts help the switch time? If so, what setting improves the switch, because "fast" doesn't. :thinking:

8. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Android Enthusiast

gde????

9. Yosef

Yosef Member

GDE is a replacement Desktop. I'm not sure what it replaces or if it replaces HTC Sense. I'm leery about replacing the desktop and some people claim it slows down their system and affects the battery life.

Who knows what it does and if it replaces Sense?

10. Yosef

Yosef Member

Does GDE replace HTC Sense or does it just add functionality? What about speed and battery life? Also, I don't see an improvement in transiton from portrait to landscape with Spare Parts. Do you need both Spare Parts and GDE to improve the switch?

11. HP2

HP2 Newbie

Spare parts is cool. I just downloaded it, and I like the speed of the screen rotation (it's pretty cool how the screen even swings back and forth)

12. HP2

HP2 Newbie

FYI, the swinging screen is with the "Fancy animation rotation" turned on.

13. rick311

rick311 Android Enthusiast

yea, i dont see a difference in the screen rotation. its not "almost instant" for me. :(

14. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Android Expert

Like what ?

15. davros

davros Android Enthusiast

ya i keep waiting to see some kind of change i've had spare parts installed for awhile.... other than having "fancy transition" turned on... not to much to see

16. hallstevenson

Ummm, I don't think it's going to do anything just from installing it. You have to change some settings ! Of the few items I looked at, the default setting was "Normal", meaning it's doing nothing until told to.

17. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

The animations made my phone slower. It's faster with the animations turned off.

18. davros

davros Android Enthusiast

oh i changed everything to fast lol not just installed it ;)

19. Solitary

Solitary Android Enthusiast

set everything to fast and i dont see any improvement in screen rotation speed.

20. rick311

rick311 Android Enthusiast

same here. when i rotate my keyboard the screen dims, then rotates, then lights back up.

21. hallstevenson

Does this app override the animation setting under Settings, Sound & Display, Animation ? Or, do they possibly conflict ?

22. charklos

charklos Member

So far I've had no signs of any conflict between the two... And I've been using spare parts since day 2. It's definitely one of my favorite consistent apps.
    :)

23. addong

addong Lurker

Spare parts really only runs on android v1.5 and 1.6 which is prob why many of you haven't noticed any real advance in performance.. eris and droid run on 2.0 and nexus1 on 2.1 which, hopefully are fast enough where it doesn't need it.. tho this forum sounds like that's not the case unfortunately.. but I'm sure the dev will come out with an update for y'all.

And GDE is a customizable home/desktop replacement app similar to pandahome, freshface, home++, etc.. They all have their perks with different special widgets and options that are unique to the app. You can download different themes for your home with skins like nexus1 or hero among tonss of other themes and they come w wallpapers too. GDE let's u have up to six different desktops with new custom transitions like cube and stretch and custom widgets like an application dock and phone history. Some of the other apps give u the option to change ur icons depending on the theme but I'm not really into that. Overall tho, GDE seems to run the cleanest and smoothest for me, especially running with Spare Parts! Everyone seems to have their own opinion obviously.. it really just depends on what u wanna do so try em all!

And they all are going to work ur battery a little more than ur default home, but it was nothing detrimental...

24. bpk116

bpk116 Newbie

Eris is running 2.0!!!!!! I've been cheated.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews