1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SPB Shell 3d On the Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Captainflowers91, May 21, 2011.

1. Captainflowers91

I just got an HTC Thunderbolt and I love this phone. Its an amazing step up from my Droid I even though it was rooted. I've recently been considering SPB Shell 3D as a home screen replacement. The thing is, I'm scared to invest $15 in the app, and have it laggy or slow. I mean the Thunderbolt has been extremely fast, even more so than my 1.2ghz droid 1, but I'm still wary about such a large, 3D application running in the background in terms of overall phone performance and battery life.

If anybody on here has experience with SPB Shell 3D on this specific model phone it would be greatly appreciated. Of course, anyone with a phone with the same, 2nd Generation Scorpian Processor should be just as good. The Thunderbolt has 768MB of Ram, but I doubt that many phones, save those with a duel-core will have more than 512

Any opinions, thought, or impressions, especially those concerning battery life would be greatly appreciated

GrandMasterB likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I don't think you would have any issues running it but you will lose HTC widgets. Battery life is already abysmal so I can't imagine much of a change.

3. Captainflowers91

Right now I'm using LauncherPro Plus so I already don't have the HTC Sense Widgets. Interestingly enough, that alone improved the battery life. Oh well, different topic for a different thread

4. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Android Enthusiast

Once I learned how to config the phone not to suck battery it's actually not that bad.

On the old winmo phone shell was a necessary evil. On the t-bolt not so much. Ask yourself what's really important... sexy 3d screen switching? or actual performance and somewhat normal battery usage.

5. Bowlegz

Bowlegz Newbie

I have this launcher on my T-Bolt and it's amazing. No lag problems here just 3d goodness!

GrandMasterB likes this.
  6. Captainflowers91

Is this on a rooted Thunderbolt? I want to avoid rooting that until I both get 4G in my area and the Wireless Tether becomes too good to pass up and it moves too slow for my apps.

7. Bowlegz

Bowlegz Newbie

Nope, my bolt is stock!

8. Captainflowers91

How quickly does it run? Also, does it come with useful widgets that will make up for me trading the HTC sense widgets? Finally, whats the impact on battery life?

9. arche3

arche3 Well-Known Member

Been using spd shell 3d for 3 weeks. It is awesome . I like it best because you thumb scroll through the different home screens via a button in the bottom. They flip. So you don't need to swipe across the screen. It's much faster this way than stock sense or the other launchers.
    Battery is same for me. No lag. Stock tb.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  10. Bowlegz

Bowlegz Newbie

The spb shell does have a few useful widgets, but not many as sense. The battery life is not adversely affected by the 3d launcher.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  11. wxruss8

wxruss8 Lurker

I have SPB Shell 3D and must say it is very nice. No slowdowns/lag at all. The features are awesome and everything is very polished. That's where the $15 goes. Well worth it.

GrandMasterB likes this.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews