1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Speaker/Mic Quit Working - Help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tcovil, Feb 4, 2011.

1. tcovil

tcovil Newbie

My Ally was working fine til yesterday. I'm in my vehicle a lot and use an audio cable from the headset jack into my radio so I can listen to Pandora radio. So I'm constantly plugging it in and unplugging it to use my phone.

Yesterday I got a phone call, unplugged the cable from the headphone jack, and found that I couldn't hear the person calling. They also couldn't hear me. But if I plugged the cable back in, I could hear them talking thru the radio, and they could hear me. But all subsequent attempts to use the phone application of my device have failed.

I turned the phone off and on... didn't help.

Everything else works normally -- text messages, touchscreen, other apps, etc. I can even hear my text message notifications when they happen.

Verizon guy was useless when I went in the store. He wouldn't even look at my phone... just verified warranty and ordered me a warranty replacement. I don't want to have to re-customize a new phone and download my apps all over again. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. wgbeatty

wgbeatty Member

Had my mic go out after 6 months. The guy at the store I went to at least checked it out, but was quick to get the warranty replacement ordered up.

Tried pulling the battery?

Might be a quirk, but maybe it is best to just take the replacement phone.

3. xbrad75

xbrad75 Member

I agree with wgbeatty. I wouldn't try anything with internal setup of the phone (not saying that there's a faulty wire or something like that, but I had a problem with my En3 and since my warrenty was up, I went into my phone and ended up bricking it). Take the replacement phone, because it's better off then having to buy a whole new phone, unless you wanted a new phone.. :/

4. neightwulf

neightwulf Member

I had the same problem. Is the "speaker" button greyed out during a call? If so, as mine was, your phone believes something is plugged into the headphone jack.

I tried carefully plugging around with a small screwdriver but nothing seemed to help. Finally I found a post somewhere online from someone with the same problem who suggested to take a pair of headphones or whatever and just violently shove the plug in and out of the jack several times. Pull no punches. Works perfectly now.

MrDimitrija likes this.
  5. ludeawakening

ludeawakening Android Enthusiast

I use my phone for the same thing and it has done the same exact thing. I pulled the audio cable while taking a call and the speaker and mic quit working. I guess it kinda confuses the hardware on what it's supposed to do. All I did was a factory reset by turning the phone off and holding Vol Down+Home+End. This resolved my problem. There is probably no need for getting the phone replaced.

6. MrDimitrija

MrDimitrija Lurker

Dear neightwulf, I literally registered to this forum just to say THANK YOU, you really saved me. This happened to me yesterday and I searched all over the net for solution (i didn't wan't to reset the phone), nothing helped me. When I saw your post I was like, wtf I haven't tried that and I plugged-unplugged the headphones about a dozen times and the icon started blinking and... IT WAS GONE!!! I can't f+=king believe it, people were changing phones because of this stupid software problem. Finally, the SOLUTION to this problem!

7. kfazz

kfazz Newbie

there's a little microswitch in the top left side of the headphone jack. i got mine unstuck with a paperclip. already hap a phone replace because of this. now i just don't use headphones

LG Ally Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews