1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Speaker not working, sound coming from earpiece

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dcbuckeye, Jan 21, 2014.

1. dcbuckeye

dcbuckeye Newbie
    None

May 17, 2010
    About 3-4 days ago my speaker stopped working while playing music/videos. The sound comes out of the earpiece at a very low volume. I have to hold my ear up to the earpiece to hear the sound (which defeats the point of watching a video). The speaker will work during phone calls. If I restart the phone the speaker works while playing music/videos for a couple minutes and then switches to the earpiece.

I'm not sure what to do. I think this has to be a software issue or some kind of setting problem. I can't find any solutions online.

Should I contact Google support? Request Replacement phone?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It depends on how new it is, but I'd try for a new phone. You may have to settle for a refurb if they have any yet.

3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    If Google decides to give you a replacement phone, it will likely be new. If they have you send it to LG for warranty repair, you will likely get either your original back or a refurb.

In either case, I'd go for it, but ask for a replacement until they tell you otherwise.

4. LGElectronics

LGElectronics Newbie
    None

Mar 1, 2013
    Some good advise here. Before contacting us for warranty repair, I would try a factory reset. Be sure to back up everything before doing so as you will lose everything on the phone to include your settings.

If that does not correct the issue, you can reach us at 1-800-793-8896 to have a RA setup for you to send it in. Or you may contact Google if the device was brand new.

Hope that helps.
    ^CL

5. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    Try pushing your earbuds in and out a few times. Maybe something is jamed in the port. If that doesn't work do a factory reset like someone mentioned

6. torincornell

torincornell Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2017
    three and a half years later, I just took BigCiX's advice and pushed the earbuds in and out of the audio jack a few times. I had been having problems with sound cutting in and out on the earpiece, the speaker and on bluetooth connections. Now it makes sense that something was making the phone think the earbuds were inserted and overring all other audio outputs. That trick solved my problem right away (to my shock and amazement!). Thanks.

Tags: