• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Speaker sound quality?

Twiz

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2010
Steeler country
While it is QUITE loud enough even on very low volume, the sound quality is drab to say the least. Almost seems over amplified? I am assuming this isn't a defect? I haven't activated the phone yet so I am wondering what call quality will be.

Almost forgot to mention...I was testing the mic quality by trying to record a video of the cat snoring. Yep, nice low pretty quiet sound. When I played it back, I couldn't even tell it was snoring. It only sounded like a crackling speaker. Very very odd.

You can try this mod or use FauxSound (an app which requires you to be running a compatible kernal)

I've also seen this thread which isn't for the feint of heart, but might be the perfect fix, especially if you have an earlier N5.

Mine is the new N5 with the larger speaker holes. It's actually too loud so I don't think that would help. If I set it at s comparable level to my other phone, the N5 I'd set at about 15% volume and my old phone at 100%.

Upvote 0
While it is QUITE loud enough even on very low volume, the sound quality is drab to say the least. Almost seems over amplified? I am assuming this isn't a defect? I haven't activated the phone yet so I am wondering what call quality will be.

Almost forgot to mention...I was testing the mic quality by trying to record a video of the cat snoring. Yep, nice low pretty quiet sound. When I played it back, I couldn't even tell it was snoring. It only sounded like a crackling speaker. Very very odd.

You might also try an equalizer or an app with an equalizer. then reduce the high nots and increase the bass. But if your speaker does a scratch like sound, then its best to get yourself a better one. I had a problem like this with my Nexus, I tried alot of apps and they would work, but then I decided to get the speakers changed and the quality was so good I pitied myself for wasting time with apps. Since then, I get good quality speaker sound and it gets better when I increase the tremble with other apps... It doesn't cost much and it doing so will serve your ears better. Good luck.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I played around with the equalizer and it sounds slightly better. It sounds good with earphones though. Guess the speaker kinda sucks. LOL!!

I did notice something interesting though. The Google Play Music equalizer is different on my RAZR Maxx than it is on the Nexus 5 and my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 even though they are the exact same version number. The Maxx has a lot more settings.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones