1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Special "feature" needed on account for HSPA+?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sroberts, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sroberts

sroberts Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    Has anyone nailed down the answer for any special "features" needed on your ATT account to ensure "4G" is enabled? One of the early hands on with the phone (I think from MarcMaiden) noted that there may be a "no cost HSPA+ feature" that needed to be on an account to get HSPA+ speeds.

I know that ATT hasn't rolled out 4G in most areas, and YMMV, but since I'm picking my phone up at an ATT store I figured I might as well get it right the first time.

Also, when I pre-ordered at the store they needed 2 reps and a manager to get it ordered and keep my unlimited data plan, so my confidence is low that if this feature is needed, they were able to add it.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. tical2k

tical2k Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    no but my speed test is 2662 down 333 up... odd last night my backflip did 947 down 1120 up. You need this new sim though and have to activate it.

3. Lason

Lason Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    There is alot of confusion about this. From what my wife who is in wireless billing said, the plan will stay the same but the first letters on the account will change to show 4G data.

I called in and talked to a few people the other day though and got multiple answers ranging from Im loosing my unlimited data because Im currently on a iphone plan and going to a android phone (even though I have had a nexus one for over a year) to people saying nothing changes at all. I think the reps are still trying to figure out the final word on it all.

My advise is watch your plan closely after the getting the phone and if needed go into a store and have then double and tripple check nothing is going up and your not loosing unlimited. You have 30 days to return the phone if they dont cooperate.

4. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    It would be a shame if AT&T tried to charge extra, or require a "change" in plans in order to get "4G" (i.e. HSPA+). FWIW, T-Mobile does not require anything "special/additional/different" for their "4G" (again, HSPA+). In fact, I was getting 7.4Mbs on the $10/mo. data plan on my unlocked Nokia, which is 10Mbs capable via HSPA/HSPA+.