• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Special "feature" needed on account for HSPA+?

sroberts

Lurker
Aug 17, 2010
Has anyone nailed down the answer for any special "features" needed on your ATT account to ensure "4G" is enabled? One of the early hands on with the phone (I think from MarcMaiden) noted that there may be a "no cost HSPA+ feature" that needed to be on an account to get HSPA+ speeds.

I know that ATT hasn't rolled out 4G in most areas, and YMMV, but since I'm picking my phone up at an ATT store I figured I might as well get it right the first time.

Also, when I pre-ordered at the store they needed 2 reps and a manager to get it ordered and keep my unlimited data plan, so my confidence is low that if this feature is needed, they were able to add it.

Thanks.

There is alot of confusion about this. From what my wife who is in wireless billing said, the plan will stay the same but the first letters on the account will change to show 4G data.

I called in and talked to a few people the other day though and got multiple answers ranging from Im loosing my unlimited data because Im currently on a iphone plan and going to a android phone (even though I have had a nexus one for over a year) to people saying nothing changes at all. I think the reps are still trying to figure out the final word on it all.

My advise is watch your plan closely after the getting the phone and if needed go into a store and have then double and tripple check nothing is going up and your not loosing unlimited. You have 30 days to return the phone if they dont cooperate.

Upvote 0
It would be a shame if AT&T tried to charge extra, or require a "change" in plans in order to get "4G" (i.e. HSPA+). FWIW, T-Mobile does not require anything "special/additional/different" for their "4G" (again, HSPA+). In fact, I was getting 7.4Mbs on the $10/mo. data plan on my unlocked Nokia, which is 10Mbs capable via HSPA/HSPA+.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones