1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support specific person sound quality is terrible on new phone

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by shawnsterp, Mar 2, 2016.

1. shawnsterp

shawnsterp Guest
    None
    I just bought a new phone - same carrier, metropcs - and all is well except when I talk to my best friend. The call is so full of static that I can barely understand him. He says on the other end that I sound great.

A thing about his setup: He has an old iphone that is nolonger on a plan. He is using some voip service to make calls (no idea what. All I know is he has to be on wifi, and can't make outbound calls. I know, I know.). He also has a pretty slow internet speed. So, I am guessing that all of this has something to do with the problem.

However, on my old phone - again same carrier - I did not have the issue. I noticed that this phone is displaying "hd" on all the other calls (again, the other calls are fine. In fact they sound better). Could this have anything to do with it?

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions as to how to get decent sound quality with him?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    if the internet speed is slow enough, it will cause digital distortion to his speech....

he is hearing you on the "download side" as it were, which gives him the "fastest speed" available.

when he talks to you, his "Upload speed" is drastically reduced, by a factor of 10 for all instances that I have seen.

ie, for me, my download speed is 10.5 mbps, but my upload speed is only about 0.8 kbps.

so, if he has a very poor bandwidth problem, there just might not be enough bandwidth to support his outgoing speech.

but,
    this doesn't quite make sense, except that you seem to be saying that the 'HD' is missing when you talk to your friend?
    This may well be a hint, but I have not used the WiFi call out service.

Hadron and svim like this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    The telecom industry in America continues to cripple us with asymmetrical broadband -- upload speeds are typically a fraction of download speed. In the E.U. and Asia symmetrical (upload and download speed being close to equal) connectivity is much more common (and at lower rates). This disparity in download/upload speed is not just a festering problem with VOIP, but Skype and other similar video conferencing services are becoming more common too. But American carriers rank profits above everything so for those who need faster upload speeds it comes at a high premium.

AZgl1500 likes this.
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have only experienced a Fast Upload speed once in my life...

at all places, it was a Hilton Hotel in Dayton, OH....
    I uploaded over a 1,000 pictures and 30 movies from my cellphone to their WiFi and to YouTube/PhotoBucket in less than an hour

I was in shock, that would have been more than a week of constant efforts to upload from my home ADSL...

My son told me it was because that hotel was adjacent to the AFB and the area is highly industrialized and a lot of CEOs camp out in that hotel.

#4 AZgl1500, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste
    None

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    It could be that the mic on his old phone is failing...

AZgl1500 likes this.