1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Specific question about choosing a ROM and Kernel

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JustSomeDude, May 15, 2011.

1. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Android Enthusiast

I

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

milforyo is a good one to start with. there are two versions of his latest release (odexed and deodexed). odexed is not very customizable as it is partitioned and optimized to be smaller then deodexed. deoedexed is what most custom roms are and have numerous themes. i liked odexed because it is smaller and thus using launcher pro will help save internal memory. plus mikfroyo's roms are super fast and zippy. i found that myn's was more slower and has more lag then i liked.

as far s launcher pro goes mikfroyo should work for you since you want sense. but i found that aosp roms works really well with the launcher.

as kernels go, you do not have to have a custom kernel. mikforyo comes with a stock kernel. however, kernels are picky when it comes to phones. they all react differently on different phones. when i was on sense roms, i loved my netarchy kernel. in ref#3 of my sig has some terms that go along with kernels to help you pick the right one for you.

3. JustSomeDude

Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely read up on that post before messing with kernels.

Another question: I've run across a lot of positive reviews of this VaelPak ROM. Any thoughts on that one in comparison to MikFroyo?

4. ocnbrze

you know i have never tried it so i can't compare it. i keep meaning to try it, but just from the looks, i'm not digging on the theme. but the only way to find out if you like it or not is to try. i know a lot of people here like it.

5. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

VaelPak is a nice rom with everything working. The developer has a couple nice things that are specific to his rom;)

If you like launcherpro, I would also recommend looking into Virus's AirBourne series of roms. Personally, I liked this rom better than VaelPak. Here it is █ VirusROM AirBouRne Series

6. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

it sure looks pretty :) as ocn so correctly stated, the only way to truly find out is to give it a whirl. make a nandroid, wipe, flash and give it about 2 days after you get it within reason of how youd like it to be. if battery life isnt what you were expecting, there are kernel options you can try along with system governors and setcpu settings. ive read many positive reviews on vaelpak, but i have yet to try it either. but even if i did, again, my opinion of it might be different than yours. it seems as tho its an "everything works" type of rom, so id not be too gunshy of trying it if i wasnt so impressed with CM7.

7. JustSomeDude

Hi All,

First I want to thank everyone for your help so far -- life got busy, but I finally had time to sit down and root, and did so successfully, flashed Amon_RA recovery, and then flashed Mikfroyo 4.62 (I wanted to wait on gingerbread until there were less bug complaints). I was running it with one of mik's original themes for a couple days and loving it, but then...

This morning after a simple reboot I got stuck at the white "HTC Evo 4G" screen indefinitely. I restored a nandroid, and luckily that worked... but unfortunately I had changed my setup a bit since that last nandroid, so it's been a pain getting everything back. So my question is, why would this happen? I did fully wiped twice (system, data, dalvik-cache, etc) before installing. But why would this happen several days after working fine? Have you all experienced this before?
    Thanks in advance for any insight.

8. ocnbrze

not sure why that happend, but i would have tried wiping dalvik cache and cache and see if that helped. usually when errors occur or anything weird like that, try wiping those. most of the time that takes care of any issues. it will not wipe any data so your setup should be ok. plus anytime i flash a rom and i get the setup just where i want it i always make a nandroid backup and delete the previous one.

JustSomeDude likes this.
  9. JustSomeDude

Thanks for the advice, I will make sure I have a nandroid of my preferred setup on hand at all times.

I just thought of one thing -- last night I followed the instructions on an xda thread to download an apk of Hulu, and the apk of a modified Flash player that worked with it... could that have been the culprit? Am I asking for trouble when downloading an apk not found in the market?

10. JustSomeDude

And now my gmail won't sync properly. I am having the same issue as the guy in this thread -- I can receive emails, but any I try to send are stuck in "Sending" (and don't show up on my gmail acct on my pc)... but it looks like the only solution they offer is completely starting from scratch. But unlike that guy, I did not use TB for anything but a few user apps (restored a few games and data, and apps+data for apps like Folder Organizer). And this time I did not install Hulu or any other off-market apps.

Do I have any other options besides starting from scratch? The time consumption is pretty frustrating...

ETA: Nevermind, panicked prematurely - found a solution on xda

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews