• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Specific requirements for business usage

Obsidians

Lurker
Sep 1, 2010
Hi there,

My organization is looking to replace some handheld units, and I'm looking into the possibility of developing something on an Android tablet that would fulfill our needs. However, there seem to be so many options floating around, some of dubious quality, that I'd appreciate some help in narrowing things down a bit. In particular, there seem to be a number of tablets coming out in the near future that look very solid.

What I need:
7" display
capacitive screen
Android 2.2
enough computing power to be snappy
a rear-facing, quality camera
lightweight
WiFi but not 3G

The Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like a strong contender so far. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Hi there,
The Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like a strong contender so far. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

At the moment it's believed that the Samsung Galaxy Tab is a 3G tablet. We don't know all the specifics but there have been recent reports that Verizon Wireless will be selling them. As there's little recurring revenue from non-3G tablets, it's unknown whether or not they will also be selling a non-3G version.

The new Archos tablets look promising as do tablets in the works by LG, ASUS, Toshiba, and others. Expect, however, that you'll see these mainstream tablets start to hit the market is late November at the earliest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones