1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Specific ringtone for text containing certain word

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by t325, Jul 13, 2011.

1. t325

t325 Lurker
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For contacting us while on-call, my employer is moving to an sms-based paging system rather than a phone call. While a phone call will wake me up at night, a text message alert won't. So I'm looking for an app that will allow me to set a loud, obnoxious ringtone guaranteed to wake me up in the event I get paged but only for those text messages. Looking for a way to be woken up when something breaks...the joys of being a sys admin.

The problem is, this uses the AT&T e-mail to sms gateway (number@txt.att.net or whatever it is) so the phone number the text messages come from isn't consistent, so I can't set a simple contact based ringtone for those texts. However, all texts from this system have a common word - the name of their paging system in them (like "Our Stupid Paging System: Something's broken!"). Is there an app that will let me change the ringtone on all text messages containing a certain word or phrase in them? This way, I can be woken up for these work-related texts, but won't be for everything else.

I looked in the Market, and there are dozens of apps for a contact-based notification sound, but nothing for a word or phrase based notification sound. FWIW, I have an HTC Inspire, rooted with Gingerbread. Thanks

Advertisement

2. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    Tasker could change your sms sound to something loud and annoying at a certain hour and back to normal at another time but I guess that would be for all messages unless you have everyone else with custom tones.

Tasker may even be able to read the messages and scan for that word, I don't know but if anything can do it this would be it.

3. burtcom

burtcom Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2010
    I've a Tasker setup to play a tune at loud volume continuously untill I click a screen button when I get an SMS containing a particular message.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Tasker can't necessarily change the sound played when certain SMS messages arrive, but it CAN play an additional sound, and optionally play it over and over again until you acknowledge it.

If you're using Tasker, I would suggest checking out the Missed Notification Reminder profiles in the Tasker Wiki. With these profiles I get a reminder every 10 minutes if I have unread SMS, missed call, Google Voice voicemail, Gmail, Calendar notifications, etc. But I've also added some profiles that give me a repeat notification every 2 minutes if there's unread SMS or missed call from my immediate family. You could do something similar for SMS containing specified text, and optionally make it so that even if your silent mode is on you will still get an audible reminder.

I'm sure there are other solutions as well, but as a sys admin I'm sure you'll find plenty of other uses for Tasker.