1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Specific screen question for existing S3 owners (whites/adjustments)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by finn5975, Jun 5, 2012.

1. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    Male
    Tax Analyst
    Illinois
    I seen on hands-on videos that the S3 has some great customization for the screen settings. Particularly, you can 'dull down' the saturation if you please.
    My question has to do with how 'whites' are handled on this amoled screen. Do any settings assist with the whites and how bright they are, or, do they remain similar to the Galaxy Nexus in that they are eggshell, if not yellowish?

I am just curious. I personally prefer the LCD screens used in phones like the iphone and HTC phones, but I certainly don't have hatred for amoled displays. It's how the whites show that I prefer non amoled.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. elbeeuk

elbeeuk Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Hi there,
    From comparing my SGS3 with my wife's iPhone 4s side by side, you can see a very slightly blue tint on the SGS3 screen but only very slightly. If I didn't have the comparison right in front of me I would be none the wiser.
    There is the option in the display settings for 'Screen Mode' where the tint can be changed with preset options(Dynamic, Standard, Natural & Movie).

I honestly don't think it is a make or break situation on getting the phone though. The screen is still fantastic.:D

HTH

Elbee

3. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Side by side with my One X and 4S I find the blue tinge quite a bit more than slight, but when not viewing it side by side it doesn't really bother me. I wrote about it here, and there are some photos of the S3 alongside the 4S and Hox.

Worth noting also that Supercurio will be bringing Display Expert to the S3 very soon, so should be able to tune it to our individual tastes.

4. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    My S3 also has a very cool tint to it. I prefer that to the warm yellow tints and no screen is 100% perfect.

5. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Retired
    American Expat now living in Thailand
    Well, tonight I got my hands on the SGSIII for the first time. I've had my SGS (GT I9000) since Oct of 2010 and I still love it. It has been a great device and has served me well. However, I'm considering purchasing my next smartphone and the SGSIII looks to be the one.
    The model I looked at was a white one, and overall I was very impressed with the device.
    I was surprised to find that it really isn't that much wider than my original SGS and the size felt 'just right' in my hand. It looked great...and it felt great. I really liked it....and so I decided to do some close comparison. My SGS is 119g and the SGSIII is 133g but it was hard to notice the difference. I was quickly coming to realize that this was to be my next smartphone. Lastly, I wanted to compare the displays. I loaded the main page of the Google Playstore on both devices...and scrolled down to compare color, saturation, brightness and sharpness. I looked at the colors of the 'magical clock tower' and the 'REAL COLORS'. Then I looked at the color AND sharpness of the 'EURO2012' lwp and the text of the last two.
    I'm sad to report that even though the 4.8 in display is nice to behold...it did NOT measure up to the 4 in display on my original SGS !
    The text was visibly sharper on my SGS and I could easily make out single blades of grass, whereas I noticed the text was slightly fuzzy and I could not easily see the blades of grass on the display of the SGSIII.
    This was quite a surprise for me as I thought for sure that the SGSIII HD Super AMOLED would be at least as good if not better than my SGS (1) Super AMOLED since the ppi for my device is 233 and the ppi for the new SGSIII is 307.

Please don't flame me for reporting my findings. I welcome additional comments from anyone who has done a similar type of comparison with other devices. I think it will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

So, go out and do your own side by side comparisons...and tell us about your findings.

jabba1649 likes this.
  6. jabba1649

jabba1649 Newbie
    None

Jun 2, 2012
    This is very interesting. I've done some in-shop comparisons between iPhone 4 and SgIII, and although I didn't do anything scientific like this I was actually really impressed with the look of the SGIII screen, which is saying something because the iPhone 4 screen is retina of course and a lot, lot smaller so inevitably naturally sharper. If I go again, will try to do something more studied and get back to you.