1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Speculations about battery life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nguyen18, Mar 20, 2011.

1. nguyen18

nguyen18 Member
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    So I bought the Thunderbolt on Thursday and I am going to return it tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, it's a speedy phone and everything is great...except for the battery life. I know that I am not the only one because there are tons of threads and articles about the poor battery life of this product and HTC products in general. So after doing research, I discovered that the battery life of the Motorola Atrix is fantastic. Since the Droid Bionic will be running a Dual Core also, does anyone else think that the battery life will be just as good?

Advertisement

2. 8-Bit-Soldier

8-Bit-Soldier Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    1930 mAh Li-Po battery is pretty damn good, should last about 7-8 hours (or longer depending on if the Tegra doesn't suck up to much power)

3. thekidvid

thekidvid Lurker
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. I anxiously suffered through weeks of delays to get my hands on the Thunderbolt after suffering with a Blackberry for 3.5 months. The Thunderbolt was great -- I like the smooth edges on the case, the way it felt in my hand, the responsiveness, the storage capacity and the memory but the under-capacity battery (for a phone this size) and how it put limitations on how I could use it was shocking.

I lived with a Droid 1 for a year, and while the battery life for that wasn't stellar, it definitely could handle my medium daily usage. I didn't have to charge it on most days until I went to bed. It really put things in perspective for me - the original Droid I released in November of 2009 had around a 1300 mah battery, and the Thunderbolt is around 1400, yet the Thunderbolt's CPU is twice as fast, it has triple the RAM (768 megs versus 256 megs), it needs more juice to power the 4G radio, and it draws much more power for the substantially bigger screen. Yet, the Thunderbolt's battery isn't even 10% bigger. It doesn't make any sense! What was HTC thinking?

When I first read about the Thunderbolt, all of the battery life speculation revolved around how it would handle the massive power draw needed to power the 4g radio. I figured if the biggest power drain for the Thunderbolt was going to be the 4G push-pull network communication, then that would be something they could manage in software and still deliver good battery life with a small-ish battery. Unfortunately, I have found in the couple of days that I tried it out that, the display power draw was the main thing was killing my battery, even with the brightness cranked down to 25%. For the couple of days I tested it out, I definitely wasn't using it as much as my original Droid; yet, with the OG Droid from, it's battery could last most of the day because it was dramatically less powerful phone. So I took it back to Best Buy last night for a refund, and I'm going to wait on the Bionic which will hopefully come out in mid-April, as they've speculated on AndroidCentral due to the convo they had with Verizon.

I've also heard good things about the Motorola Atrix. I read through some posts complaining about the Atrix battery life, but if some of the Atrix users think the usage time they're getting with the huge Atrix battery is really bad, and some do think it's not acceptable, then they'd be completely shocked if they had to use the Thunderbolt for a day. For medium users, it sounds like the two phones are in different universes of battery life. From what I saw months ago, before the Atrix was available, many people on these forums were highly skeptical of any first generation dual-core smartphone having good battery life but it sounds like the bulk of those fears were overblown.

Do the Bionic and the Atrix share the same processor and memory? I think that would help us to make to a prediction regarding what the Bionic's battery life might look like.

4. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    HTC has never been good at delivering long battery life. I don't quite understand why they don't try to address it. They lure people with looks, build quality, but their fans seem to overlook or forgive battery issues. If Bionic's battery life is anything like DX, it will be much better LTE phone than Tbolt.

5. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I was half joking in a thread on this issue over on the TB forums with some former OG Droid friends, but there was def one point I wasn't. I consider most of us pretty informed phone buyers, as soon as a new name is even uttered, we're all over the blogosphere getting every tidbit we can find. This is why I don't understand how anyone with a low tolerance for battery life even gave the TB a second thought.

I've got two Droid Incredibles on my plan, so I'm quite familiar with HTC (one of which is rooted). Now, the DInc is a great phone, def better specwise than my beloved D1 (of course, I'll take my rooted Droid over it anyday, but that's another story). But it's major downfall is it's battery life. It's just short of abysmal, and it takes being rooted to make it anything resembling serviceable. So they basically took the DInc, beefed up the power, gave it the battery draining 4G, and a bigger screen, but the truly genius move, kept the same garbage battery? Come on.

To answer the OP's question, I think the Bionic's battery life will be similar to the D1's which is pretty decent for an Android phone. Once the Market is optimized for dual core, than it will become an advantage. Then there's bigger battery. And once rooted (which the Atrix already is), then SetCPU will be it's biggest saving grace.

6. nguyen18

nguyen18 Member
    None

Mar 2, 2011
    So i got a response saying that battery would be like D1, but does anyone think it'll be like the atrix?

7. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    My educated guess thinks it'll be similar. The processor and screen are similar and those are going to ding battery life the most. The network on the other hand will hurt especially when actually talking. GSM uses considerably less power then Verizons CDMA.

8. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    My gTablet has Tegra 2 with amazing battery life and I use the HECK out of mine with tons of Flash and N64, PSX and NeoGeo games :)

Has a 3650mah battery :) 10" higher res screen though.

9. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    The Tegra 2 should help battery life.

If Google is smart (and I would challenge anyone to prove they are not), they will have the threads be split in two on the CPU, 50% load on one and 50% on the other. It takes significantly less power to run a dual core in this fashion than a single core at 100% which will allow it to save battery, and yet maintain full speed, and yet maintain full speed.

Now, if they can pull it off then we should get better battery life. And once 2.4 releases then we will get an OS which is designed for dual core and BOOM, it will be flying fast.

10. fegriffith

fegriffith Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm not familiar with the D1 battery life...I currently have a droid x w 1930 battery and am very impressed with it. How does Droid X compare to D1?

I read mixed things about the Atrix battery and overall not sure I left the forums thinking it was "good". And they aren't on a 4G network. So I am concerned...

WHEN is battery technology going to get to where we no longer have to discuss how long a phone will last on a charge (except to brag that your phone just lasted a week with constant movie streaming 24/7).

11. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I've never owned an X and haven't played with one much to know how the battery life compares. But with that size battery, I imagine your X got better life. For the most part, I have no prob going all day on a single charge, depending on how hard I'm going. Mostly, it's the ROM I'm using at the time that affects things the most.

But I can def echo your disdain for the lack of battery advancement. Is it really possible that the tech world can move so fast that a product is outdated the moment it launches, but the batteries that run them are as advanced as they were 5 years ago?