• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speech keyboard, talk to me keyboard & better keyboard?

I have swipe on my Touch Hd and it is good, but the company are a nightmare to deal with when they upgrade etc, but if its as responsive as it is on WM it will be good.
:)

Cool , I would imagine it would be easy on Android with the Market etc though :)

I'm just wondering how do you like Select a double character ? For example if I wanted to spell the word "Spell". How could I write 2 L's. One after another?

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering how do you like Select a double character ? For example if I wanted to spell the word "Spell". How could I write 2 L's. One after another?

You don't. You just slide over 's p e l' and the app figures out the rest. Shape writer is already out and has a 30 day trial. I'm on it now. Swype looks better. Shape writer isn't terrible but it's not worth it in my view. Far too easy to make annoying errors amd I think that's due to the app and not the approach.

Upvote 0
You don't. You just slide over 's p e l' and the app figures out the rest. Shape writer is already out and has a 30 day trial. I'm on it now. Swype looks better. Shape writer isn't terrible but it's not worth it in my view. Far too easy to make annoying errors amd I think that's due to the app and not the approach.

oh right , thank you
xmassmile.gif

Upvote 0
You don't. You just slide over 's p e l' and the app figures out the rest.

Actually, that's not quite right. I have Swype on my Droid now. To write a double letter, you do a little loop around that letter. Works very well.

On another note, I really wish I could use Talk To Me Keyboard on the hardware keyboard and Swype on the on-screen keyboard without having to switch input method every time.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I should have clarified that my example was for Shapewriter. I think I prefer to approach to Swype.

I'm now tried:

1. Default keyboard
2. Better Keyboard
3. Shapewriter
4. Swype
5. HTC Hero keyboard

Of all of these the Hero keyboard wins hands-down for me. The problem is it's not written for the Droid and unlikely to get edited to work on it. It's mainly fine except that the correction bar is slightly in the way of the Send button and in wide mode it doesn't fully extend to the end of the screen as the Hero isn't that wide.

Its ability, for example, to type a number but just pausing on a key to get to its secondary function is excellent. Better Keyboard has something similar but it requires an extra touch. Hold and then select. Don't like it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones