1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Speech to text app for 45 minute lectures

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by WhiteSquare, May 15, 2011.

1. WhiteSquare

WhiteSquare Newbie

Hey guys, I have a Galaxy Tablet that I use for college and I'd like to be able to get some speech-to-text software which I could use to record the professor's class and have it transcribed to text for me. I can read it all a lot faster than I can listen to the entire class again. I will also be recording the lecture.

I searched the market and tried a couple of free ones, even tried the built-in keyboard mic and nothing seems to be what I need. I Googled the terms as well and I've come up with nothing definitive.

Any good programs out there that will do speech-to-text for 45 minutes at a time and have decent accuracy?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I doubt you are going to get a decent speech to text "app" for such a purpose. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking for work purposes ( I have to write a lot of reports on a daily basis) and it's considered one of the best on the market in text to speech apps... but even that needs certain parameters met:
    - you need to be close to the microphone
    - you need to train it to the nuances of your speech
    - you need a quiet area to filter out background noise

The only thing I can think of is to record your lecture with a hard disk device and then see if you can find some sort of software that will convert that to text for you.

WhiteSquare likes this.
  3. MJM128

MJM128 Android Enthusiast

This may not be the solution you're looking for, but you could just play back the lecture in a faster playback speed. If speed is the only issue.

4. WhiteSquare

WhiteSquare Newbie

Thanks, Gorey. I don't think technology has progressed to the point of being able to do what I want yet. Thanks for your help, though.

MJM, is there a voice recording app that you recommend that will do that? I have one, but it doesn't play back at any speed but normal. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to transfer the file to my computer to put on an MP3 player.

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Osplay can do variable speed playback you will need to find an app that records MP3 or wav format

6. WhiteSquare

WhiteSquare Newbie