• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speech to Text S2 vs S4

revel51

Aug 1, 2011
Hi. I had a Sprint Epic Galaxy S2 and noticed that the Text to Speech was kind of ok + I was kinda bad at using it. Then over time I got good at it and with updates it seemed to become perfect! I was shocked at how good it worked.

I recently switched to Verizon and picked up a Galaxy S4. The Speech to Text seems lacking in comparison. I had a few times where it was perfect but a lot of the time it is really far off. Way more than what I was used to on my S2 for a long time. Very noticeable.

Anybody else notice this? Or know why this might be? Or how I could help fix it?

Thank you

Upvote 0
You might just want to switch to a different application that can do it better.

Have you tried downloading Swiftkey, it's really good and has some decent speech to text capabilities, or there are some other keyboards that are entirely this.

Here is a keyboard thread that is pretty good: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/745322-what-keyboard-you-using-vote.html

Thanks!
I watched 2 videos on youtube and then purchased it. Really nice! And so far the speech to text seems really awesome (from what I can tell). I don't understand how it would make it better but it seems to have, for sure.
Thanks for the heads up.

Upvote 0
Hrm. The speech to text still seems to mess up a lot. A lot more than it did on my Sprint S2.

Also I noticed that when you turn on the arrow keys at the bottom of Swiftkey the whole thing messes up really bad. It is buggy and will "disconnect" completely from the text box plus some other funky issues. I turned it off and it went back to normal.

The long press is great.

For now i've given up on Speech To Text. Used it a lot on my S2 but for now on my S4 it has been more work than it is worth. Often so far off it is more humorous than anything.

Upvote 0
I use Google voice regognition and Dragon (which comes with my Swype keyboard). I like Google better. I've also got it set up to "learn" from me, whatever that means.

Any program will work better with better sound quality in. Here's one thing to think, about: if you're holding the screen directly in front of your face, the mic is at the bottom of the phone, facing DOWN. Your voice doesn't have a straight line shot to the microphone. And if you've got a case with a tiny hole for the mic, that makes it tougher also. So I try to tilt the screen away from me a little so I can talk more directly toward the mic. I also enlarged the hole in the case for the mic so it wouldn't interfere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones