1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Speed Dial Gone in JB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by IHateMyTreo, Dec 19, 2012.

1. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

Seriously?! Moto did away with speed dial.

When I searched for help, a little tutorial said yep, it's gone and that you now have to use a separate 1x1 "Direct Dial" widget for each person. Which stupidly enough means that you have to take up most of a new home screen for all the speed dials that used to take up no extra room because they were..um..SPEED DIALS from the dialer screen. :mad:

Sometimes I have to question Moto's sanity. Great hardware and radios. Software not so much.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast

I will miss the speed dial feature also. But, I've discovered that the Direct Dial widgets are stackable, which really is pretty slick. You can create the widgets in alphabetical order, for example, and drag each on top of the other. Then tap on the folder, which you can name, and all the widgets pop up. Touch the one you want and away you go.

robdec17 and IHateMyTreo like this.
  3. IHateMyTreo

Good to know that the widgets can be stacked. Depending on your setup, it might take more swipes or taps to drill down to a Direct Dial button than it used to to open the dialer and long press on the speed dial. But thanks for the tip!

4. Shilo777

Shilo777 Lurker

I also noticed today, with frustration, that there was no speed dial....then I read your post....confirming. :mad:

I think I've come up with a work around for me. I only have about 6 contacts I use speed dial for. Those 6 people I have set up as "favorites". I did this by pressing the star on their individual contact page. When I want to phone any of my 6 favorites ..... I press the phone icon on my home page > then in the upper right corner of the numbered keypad screen I press "Favorites" > when my 6 favorite contacts appear > I tap/select the favorite contact I want to call and the call is immediately started.

Perhaps this will work for you without having to download an extra app. :)

IHateMyTreo likes this.
  5. IHateMyTreo

I'm just trying to call someone with no more than two taps on the screen. It used to be tap the phone dialer icon on the home screen, then long press the speed dial number.

Now, I swipe one page to the right and tap the Direct Dial widget I placed there. One widget for each of the five speed dials I used to have. So it gets done with two strokes or taps like before. Same number of calories burned ;)

6. tnstra

tnstra Member

Using Dialer One can fix this. It has speed dial and if you have hundreds of contacts it searches more better LOL

Tom

7. t0ked

t0ked Newbie

I just added the direct dial widgets to my People icon in the dock area. i had 8 speed dial numbers and now i tap on "people" to open the app folder and tap on the DD widget. i must confess that this is more convenient now. it's even organized the same way my speed dials used to be. Saves a little bit of calories, no long press, just a tap :D

Attached Files:

8. fullerne

fullerne Member

Go Dialer Ex also let's you program speed dials and access them with a long press of the numbers.

9. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast

Or you can use Favorites Contacts. Call or Txt with one or two clicks.

10. jwbeeler

jwbeeler Android Enthusiast

I did exactly the same...but with different people of course. ;)

11. cmedytrgdy

cmedytrgdy Newbie

Use Speed Dial Old School app.Perfect solutioon

12. IHateMyTreo

Also found an app called Sign. Pretty cool. Assign a gesture to your speed dial contacts, then just "sign" on the screen and it calls for you.

13. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

14. rmwest

rmwest Lurker

Yep. It's gone.

15. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

that is so annoying. I installed Dialer one and speed dial works, but when I goto quick shortcut to phone from lockscreen, it opens stock phone. Ugh, so i still need to unlock, click dialer one icon, then speed dial.

16. IHateMyTreo

17. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

except you would need 9 widgets and take up an entire screen. Or stack them in a group, to which case your the same as using dialer one or other app.

18. IHateMyTreo

I only need 4 direct dial widgets, which takes up one row on my screen. And you could actually fit 16 widgets on a full screen if you wanted to. But I don't want to talk to that many people :rolleyes:

Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD Forum

The Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 3300mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews