• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speedtest differences W10 v. Moto G7?

Roger Cordrey

Oct 30, 2015
I understand that the internet is under heavy load at present, which means that download/upload speeds may be highly variable according to the day and time. However, I get vastly different results when running Ookla Speedtest on my latptop (Windows 10) and on my G7 Power phone. Whilst speeds on W10 range from 136 to 38Mbps, the same program run from the same location and almost the same time consistently fails to achieve one third of the laptop speed. Both devices use SSD type memory and both have no more than 30% occupancy of that memory.
Is the WiFi on the G7 just much inferior to that of the W10 Surface Go?
Screenshot_20200503-225351.png

If you're getting such a wide variance even on your Win10 laptop it doesn't seem likely to be a broadband bandwidth issue but much more likely to be a matter where your local network is being used while you do the speed tests. You can't expect to get any accurate assessment of any speed test if there are another people or devices using online connectivity while you do the test.
As for the discrepancy between your laptop and your phone, are both connecting to the same network in the same way (both connected to a 2.4Ghz or a 5Ghz band network and from approximately the same distance from the router)?

Upvote 0
I am on Virgin 100, supposedly a 100Mbps service; but with the massive increase in useage during lockdown I only get 100+Mbps at 3am in the UK - much less during the day. The point is that I get wildly different results with the two devices and supposedly same app at the same position (some 5 metres from the router in the same room) and within minutes of each test. Both W10 and G7 are on the same network, same 2.4GHz. Whatever the reading at any time on W10, I get one-third or less Mbps reading from Speedtest on the G7. Not a bandwidth problem, I agree, but does look as though the G7 is unable to process the app at the received speed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones