• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speedtest.net and Optimus V

duvallite

Feb 24, 2011
Soggy Cascade Foothills, WA
I've been running Speedtest.net on my Optimus, and the DL speeds can vary quite a bit. Mine are typically in the 200-700 range, though sometimes I've been able to get as high as 1600 or so, like this past Sunday afternoon. Even with the slower DL speeds Speedtest shows, my phone seems fairly quick to load pages and surf, which makes me think that the DL readings are not very accurate, and possibly way off.

Something odd I've noticed when I run a speed test, is that as the DL test is completing and it shows the final DL speed up in the DL box, down in the "speedometer" section in the speed box there, it wll always very briefly show a very significantly higher speed, which based on how pages load, seems like it might be the true DL speed. Btw, it never does this for the UL speed, just the DL, and it doesn't matter which server I select for the test. Here are some examples from tests I just ran, showing DL Box speed / Speedometer Box speed.

184/1875, 210/1007, 278/1824, 271/1824, 603/1875, 400/1875.

As you can see, the 2nd number is much more consistant than the first. Could this be the real DL speed I'm getting, or is it just a app quirk, and the 1st number is the real speed I'm getting? Anybody else notice this on their Optimus V?

I have noticed something similar. I do get my best speeds for DL when I chose the closest server site with lowest ping time. This seems a little odd in that it was my understanding that all traffic is routed to Kansas City (Overland Park?). If I try running the SpeedTest via that route, my ping and DL speeds are reduced. Maybe SpeedTest traffic is handled differently?

I also notice that the DL is not always smooth but kind of jerky...like you are allowed so much data and than there is a slight delay and then some more data. I have seen spikes in DL and UL speeds usually at the beginning or end of a transmission upto around 3500 but nothing consistent. This may just be a display error.

Speeds here in my town are 700 to 1000 kbps DL and upload can be around 700 to 1000 typical but can also be very low (to the point it gets stuck and you get something like 60 kbps)

However in a nearby town speed is very poor for DL (200 kbps) with a upload that also varies a lot.

I belive a lot depends on local Sprint traffic. My closest tower is realatively new and I don't think that we have many Sprint users. My guess is we are lower priority traffic for Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones