1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SPH-L710 Cant get cyanogenmod to work

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chrisjdurden, Jan 11, 2014.

1. chrisjdurden

chrisjdurden Member
    None

Aug 13, 2012
    Male
    Bar Manager
    Atlanta GA
    I have upgraded to 4.3, I'm assuming this has knox built in. When I hook up to the cyanogenmod app on my windows computer I constantly get "We can't talk to your device." Can someone please give me some advice that will get this working? 4.3 is awfully laggy for me, hoping cyanogenmod will be better.

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Ive never used the new cyanogen installer thing but ive read that it doesnt work with the new bootloader that came in 4.3.
    Think youll have to do it the old fashioned way lol.
    Are you rooted? If not, thats the first thing youll wana do so check out the sub-forum for your carrier :beer:

3. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Personally, the CyanogenMod installer is one of the worst things the CM team could have done for the rooted community. Rooting should never be a one-click solution, any rooted user needs to know how to "get their hands dirty" when rooting so that they can solve potential problems forward and backward. That being said, rooting the Sprint SGS3 is the same as rooting the VM (which is mine) and the Boost variants. All it takes is pushing a custom recovery to your device via Odin (I highly recommend Philz Touch) and then using that custom recovery to flash the latest SuperSU .zip file (version 1.86 as of this writing). That simple. I will link you to a thread on the VM side of things that was put together by awesome guide @TheBritton, as I mentioned earlier, the principle is the same for any of the three carriers I mentioned.

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/799711-guide-mk5-wip-rooting-mk5-4-3-newbies.html

If you want a custom ROM (as opposed to being stock/rooted) there are a ton of options. Since you say in the OP that you want CM11, just download any nightly for d2spr from the CM website:

CyanogenMod | Android Community Operating System

Click "Download" at the top of the screen, then choose "d2spr" from the list on the left side of the screen.

funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Yeah this cyanogen installer is even worse than the Rom Manager type apps that make flashing easy.. if you use them instead of learning what youre doing, as soon as you get a bootloop youll think youve bricked the phone and wont know how to fix it.
    I dont recommend the cm installer but i just know were gona have a lot of people here who have and who have got into a mess :)

struckn likes this.