1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Splashtop on FT3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mburwen, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mburwen

mburwen Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Petaluma,CA,USA
    I thought I posted this earlier, but it doesn't show, so trying again. Sorry if it turns out to be repetitive.

Splashtop will not install on my FT3 running Tim's 4e. The app is not listed in Market (although the Splashtop website says it is), so I got it from one of the download sites. Could be the file is corrupted or it simply won't run on FT3. Has anyone been able to run Splashtop sucessfully on an FT3? If so, any advice?

The name of the file I downloaded is splashtop.remote-1.apk. According to the website, there are versions for Android 2.1+ and Honeycomb. I don't know which one I have, so it is possible I have the Honeycomb version.

Advertisement

2. weltall

weltall Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Nope you downloaded the application fine but it just won't install. tried it with an apk manager and normally and still nothing. maybe you could use Team Viewer if what you want it just to control your PC or another's and need a tool for that. You still need to downlaod teamviewer as an apk though.

3. mburwen

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Petaluma,CA,USA
    I've tried Teamviewer. It works - sort of. It does indeeed see my PC, but the colors are distorted (a lot of pink!) and it is difficult to position the image so you see the part of the PC's screen that want to see. No good for video.

I inquired of the Splashtop company and just received a reply stating that they think their no-HD version might work on the FT3. Said the requirements are ARMV7 processor and Android 2.2 or newer. Also said that it could be purchased from Amazon Android market. I went on Amazon Android market from the FT3 and couldn't find it. However, when I went to the website on my PC it is there in both HD and no-HD versions.

I'll let you know if it works. I am trying to find a way to see Netflix streaming video on the FT3.

4. weltall

None

Jun 26, 2011
    Ummm if you g oin the android marker it clearly says that it needs android 3 or higher for the HD version o_O. And yes team viewer is crappy. You can actually change the quality if you go to the settings and mess around like putting quality to optimize quality and untick remove wallpaper and enable UDP. Still teamviewer is more for managing rathr than watching videos and such. Its slow too at times.

5. mburwen

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Petaluma,CA,USA
    I just got through reading a bunch of user reviews and I'm going to pass on Splashtop. The reviewers say it is terrific on iPad, but not ready for primetime on Android.

6. weltall

None

Jun 26, 2011
    All apps on android react differently with all the different tablets that are around. Apps made for iphone.. well are made for iphone so they cant go wrong no matter what. its why usually android has more problems than iphone (not because iphone is better =p)

mburwen likes this.