1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Split Text Messages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tylektamala, Oct 18, 2017.

1. tylektamala

tylektamala Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2017
    My texts in receiving are coming in split I did not have this issue on my note 4 anyone know how to fix please help

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Did you change wireless carriers? Usually this is something that is controlled by your carrier. In general, cdma carriers like sprint use a 160 character limit for SMS messaging. Long messages will get split up.

This can happen to messages you send or messages you receive from someone on a cdma carrier.

So if you are using a gsm carrier, you can send long messages but they would be split to someone you send them to if they are on a cdma carrier. And likewise, if you are on a gsm carrier, anyone on a cdma carrier that sends you a long message will be split at 160 Characters.

marctronixx likes this.
  3. tylektamala

tylektamala Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2017
    No I only changed ph'ne

marctronixx likes this.
  4. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Okay, who is your carrier? And are you getting split messages from everyone or just certain contacts? And it's just a certain people, do you know what carrier they are using?

Also, which phone did you switch to?

marctronixx likes this.
  5. tylektamala

tylektamala Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2017
    Note 8 and Sprint

marctronixx likes this.
  6. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I used to be on Sprint and always sent and received split messages when they were long or used emojis. It bugged me. This is something that's put in place by sprints sms service and I don't know if you can bypass it.

The only thing I could think to try, is look around in your messenger settings and see if there is an option that allows you to not split long SMS messages.

marctronixx likes this.
  7. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    There are things you can do to control this for when you are sending messages. If you send as an MMS message instead of an SMS message it won't break it up.

But the problem is, for receiving messages, there's nothing you can do that I know of. The person on the other end would have to send you an MMS message. Because the problem is from their end. They are breaking the character limit for SMS messages and it gets split. Then you receive it that way.

One alternative, would be to use an instant messaging app instead, to communicate with a specific person. If you are having this problem with multiple people it might not be a good solution.

marctronixx likes this.
  8. tylektamala

tylektamala Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks for your help

9. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Yes, it's a cross carrier thing.
    I've gotten into the habit of adding a subject whenever I know the message is over 160 characters, even if I know the recipient is on Verizon.
    That way it becomes an mms and sends as one message, but as stated above nothing you can do about incoming messages.

marctronixx and tylektamala like this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Welcome to the Galaxy Note 8 Forum where you'll find help, tips, tricks, accessories, reviews, and more for Samsung's S-Pen enabled smartphone. With a 6.3-inch screen, 6GB RAM, 8MP/12MP front & back cameras and a whole lot more- the Galaxy Note 8 is an absolute BEAST!