• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Splitting headache from your Turbo? Anyone?

nycmom

Lurker
Nov 7, 2014
Let me preface this by saying the last Droid I had was old. VERY old. It had a slide out keyboard. Yah. Anyhow, I loved it and it died. I bought the new Turbo, (which I've found is way too big for me to operate with one hand, but that's another story). It also has been giving me a splitting headache. I suspect it's the SUPER AMOLED screen, which is such a HUGE difference from my old screen in many ways, (brightness, contrast, size, etc.). So just out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced this with their Turbo, or another AMOLED phone? It's relevant, since I'll need to sadly return/exchange this Turbo for something else, and I may need to go LCD on the screen (or *gulp* iphone retina) to save my eyes.

Thanks!!

If anything the higher resolution, if the txt isn't too small, should be easier on your eyes. It's not a world beating amazing screen, but it's current and very nice.

I know this sounds silly, but have you had an eye exam recently?
I found myself not long ago leaning in to my (large) computer monitors to read
text, until I took my glasses off and the fuzziness went away.
Wetware problems can sometimes manifest as perceived hardware problems.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Actually, had my eyes checked less than 3 months ago, and they hadn't changed in 2 years, so that doesn't seem probable... Higher resolution would be better yes, but the higher contrast and whiter whites and blacker blacks is harder on the eyes... (especially with an astigmatism I believe...)

Yes droid 4!! Loved that baby. Sadly, the screen finally cracked...

Upvote 0
Thanks! Actually, had my eyes checked less than 3 months ago, and they hadn't changed in 2 years, so that doesn't seem probable... Higher resolution would be better yes, but the higher contrast and whiter whites and blacker blacks is harder on the eyes... (especially with an astigmatism I believe...)

Yes droid 4!! Loved that baby. Sadly, the screen finally cracked...

i love my droid 4 keyboard but i will have to give it up...... no more keyboards pysical and mine has crap battery never has been great and gets hot now on phone calls and madden. and when i charge it

Upvote 0
Eye's like ears are pretty subjective, if it's bugging you, it's bugging you.
Different screens have different color temperatures and such, might need to do some in store testing and see what's better. Personally I find there to be quite a difference in what is technically and measurably "correct" and what I find pleasing to look at in all screens. The DT is warmer than my GS4 in "professional" mode or whatever it is, overall I like it. It wasn't a screaming step up but that and the bump in size was pleasant. Check out the Note 4 maybe? Supposedly Samsung keeps the newest and bestest screens for there own devices. If you're happier with a 1080p or even a 720 non-amoled screen you can save a few bucks and still get a nice device. Gotta go with what works for you despite what anyones opinion/review says.

Upvote 0
There is a great app called lux which I use to manage automatic brightness (less bright when I'm indoors but brighter when I'm outdoors), but it also has settings to change the "temperature" of the display - a day mode, a night mode, etc. This app may help if you find the display jarring.

Upvote 0
Wonder how much you use the phone (against the ear)? Wonder if it's enough to question radio/magnetic/battery emission on prolonged use at the ear? Wonder if a battery this size (3900), after prolonged calls could be an issue? I don't know but pulling from some things I've read about cellphones in the past...well. Only you will know based on your use/habits.

Also, check your font settings...larger font makes for easier reading...if you think the screen may be the issue.

Upvote 0
Let me preface this by saying the last Droid I had was old. VERY old. It had a slide out keyboard. Yah. Anyhow, I loved it and it died. I bought the new Turbo, (which I've found is way too big for me to operate with one hand, but that's another story). It also has been giving me a splitting headache. I suspect it's the SUPER AMOLED screen, which is such a HUGE difference from my old screen in many ways, (brightness, contrast, size, etc.). So just out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced this with their Turbo, or another AMOLED phone? It's relevant, since I'll need to sadly return/exchange this Turbo for something else, and I may need to go LCD on the screen (or *gulp* iphone retina) to save my eyes.

Thanks!!

I have had no headache issues whatsoever. Maybe it's a coincidence?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones