1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Spoken alert of messages, why?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by e_canuck, Dec 24, 2014.

1. e_canuck

e_canuck Member

At some point in my Nexus 4 history the phone began alerting me to messages that have been waiting for a while - apparently either voice or text- in a spoken aloud message by an authoritative male voice. This has woken me up more than once and startled me or others more than once. I have no idea where to find or turn off this feature. I thought it might have originated with our current cell provider whom we switched to a year ago but my husband on his Nexus 5 doesn't have it. I would like to say Goodbye aloud to Mr. "Excuse me, you have a message waiting." He isn't even smart enough to tell me what form of message is waiting and I keep wasting time checking for voice mail.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    First a couple of questions. Did you update to lollipop? Are you using Google Now Launcher? Is the default language English? The reason that I ask is that the default text to speech voice in English in a female voice.

Look under settings>accessibility to see if you accidentally turned on any of the text to speech options.

3. e_canuck

e_canuck Member

Hi, thanks. Yes, I'm on Lollipop. On Home Page settings I show as being on Launcher vs. Google Now Launcher. I see some settings under Google Text to Speech but don't see where I've switched on anything, and it's on default language. I use text to speech when listening to PDFs read aloud in an app that does that. I had that app previously, before these alerts started happening.

4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Have you verified that "Talkback" isn't enabled under Settings > Accessibility?

5. e_canuck

e_canuck Member

Thanks, no, Talkback is off. The phone hasn't spoken this message alert to me in several days, since I deleted an old "saved" voice message. I'm still not certain if it's directed to voice messages, texts, or both. If I restart my phone it frequently produces this message.

codesplice likes this.
Tags: