• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Spontaneous shutdown / reboots

I would like to say thanks for this forum and this thread.

I got a Driod on Wednesday the 11th. It had reboots and crashes.
On Thursday I mentioned this to the store that I read this ment the unit was a "borked" unit.

They said not, just factory reset it. I did that and still had reboots, even three last night waking me up.

Today at 2pm I got a new one to replace it and so far it "SEEMS" faster and also no reboots.

I had NO downloaded apps on my Lemon, only factory items.
Now I have several downloaded apps on the new unit and still no problems.

I hope I'm now all A-OK :cool:

Upvote 0
What a difference a day (and a newly exchanged Droid phone) makes.
I've been running without any problem, no reboots and not even a crash since I exchanged for my new phone. The 'made on' date was the same for both 40/09. Gives me pause when thinking about the Moto QC and hoping that I don't have any more problems.
Also, the new phone seems to like to hold a charge better than the old.

J.

Upvote 0
Loving the Verizon Network...

Loving Android 2.0, and look for ward to it only getting better...

Very underimpressed with Motorola's lack of quality. I too, had to take mine back because of the shutdown/reboot issues, like so many of the rest of you out there...

Fortunatly, I'm assuming, (I know, never assume), that a year from now when I'm eligible for annual upgrade at discount, there will be many awesome phones, by many different manufacturers to choose from.

That was one reason for jumping on the Droid so soon, sooner I get into contract, sooner I'll be eligible to get whatever is the greatest available a year from now.

Upvote 0
Wow... Mine just starting doing this for the first time this morning after almost two weeks of ownership. It would just keep booting over and over again.

I took out the battery a few times and managed to get the start up screen. I quickly did an Advanced Task Killer on all apps and it seamed to be stable. The only thing I did last night was to download three apps, Barcode reader, Shop Savvy and Coin flip. I uninstalled those apps, rebooted, and all seams fine...... I've read this Forum and wondering if most people think the reboots are a hardware issue or software issue?? Part of me is thinking that the apps I downloaded last night caused the problem..... Does anyone now if apps can have problems with other running apps but not be nessesarily an OS or hardware issue?

Upvote 0
Got my Droid last Wed and installed some apps and I had the reboot issue. Took the phone back this past Tuesday and got a new phone. The new Droid started rebooting that night after installing some apps. I used Advanced Task Killer to clear running apps and it still rebooted. I erased my memory card and did a hard reset and my installed apps were still on the phone. Next I deleted all installed apps other than what came with the phone and did another hard reset, but phone still reboots even with no apps.

Took it to the Verizon store yesterday and could not get phone to reset for tech. He also said that I was the only person to come into that store with the problem and that it happened with two different phones it has to be something I've installed. I have not rooted my phone either. He recomended Task Manager to kill apps and Lookout which has an anti-virus scanner so I added those apps as well as Ringdroid, iMusic and SMS Popup on my phone.

Phone started rebooting last night while using iMusic, again during the night while on the wall charger, and has rebooted several times today. It has rebooted while using different apps as well as while not being used as it was sitting on the table next to me. The tech told me that is was an app issue since all apps are third party apps and can not be guaranteed. I'm going to go back tomorrow and see if I can get a new phone.

The phone I have now is a 41/09. Hopefully third time is a charm. I really like the phone when it works so I hope I have better luck with the next one. I was with Att and switched to Verizon specifically for the Droid. If I can't get a Droid that works properly then I'll go back to Att and get the iPhone.

Upvote 0
The only thing I did last night was to download three apps, Barcode reader, Shop Savvy and Coin flip. I uninstalled those apps, rebooted, and all seams fine...... I've read this Forum and wondering if most people think the reboots are a hardware issue or software issue?? Part of me is thinking that the apps I downloaded last night caused the problem

i haven't had these problems, but i do have all 3 of those apps installed. so i'd lean towards a hardware issue i guess?

i'm on a 39/09 phone but i don't think that seems to matter for a lot of these kinds of issues, from what i see they're spread across builds.

Upvote 0
Since my original post, I have not had any issues of rebooting. I have also seen many updates come across of the applications I have installed. I have since installed Bar Code scanner but my gut still tells me we're all still guinea pigs of sorts of open source/ open market-place Android application development. I haven't scoured the Forums recently, but I be VERY surprised if anyone is having reboot issue with no applications installed.....

Upvote 0
I think the phone is too new to really have many refurbs, but all you have to say is it reboots on its own and they will replace it no questions asked. I was having a reboot problem with a 41/09 and got a 43/09 and have had not problems. I did NOT install any task killer apps this time, however, since this phones software is such that if a task isn't being utilized its not hogging resources (its Linux not Windows based). Also check the phones setting to make sure you are backing up to googles servers. 'settings/privacy/back up my settings'. This is especially important if you are having reboot issues. My 1st phone deleted all my contacts, texts, call history on one of those random reboots after an error msg popped up. Also, if you have to get a new phone you just synch your data back to the new phone...easy and painless

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones