• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SPOOFING SPAM

OK, but when you imply that the Do Not Call Registry is just another call blocking app, that's misleading and ignores its actual purpose. DNCR is municipal service where your phone number gets added to a database that businesses and organizations are obligated to ignore. It's supposed to reduce robocalls and sales pitch cold calls from legitimate businesses. It is NOT just some call blocking app or service that you're making it out to be. And it involves people to report violators, so in your case you should be reporting those 'Rachel at Card Services' so actions can be taken to enforce existing laws:
https://www.donotcall.gov/report.html
When people don't even bother to report violators, the spammers just get to keep making more spam calls. (Unless you do have some kind of account issue with 'Card Services' and in that case there is a legitimate purpose behind those phone messages. Simply because you don't want them doesn't categorize them as spam.)
So yeah, you're still going to receive spam calls after registering with DNCR but it can only reduce the number of spam calls you would actually be receiving, but it isn't a 100% solution. It's naive to think that this is going to just stop everyone from being able to spam you.
https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/national-do-not-call-registry-faqs#what doesn't do

Where did I imply that the DNCR was an app?

Certainly that was not my intention.

The main intention was to express the fact that the DNCR is a list available to anyone, and so the scammers love to use it as a way to get real working numbers of people who think that scammers won't be calling them anymore.

My guess is that the DNCR is actually part of the whole scam, and exists to provide scammers with these numbers.

As I have stated here and other threads, I have proof that the scam calls multiplied by four times the month after our number was placed on the Do Not Call list.

After about a year of this extreme telephone terrorism, I requested that our number be pulled off of the lists, both the federal and state DNCR.

After some time, the calks actually decreased, something close to what it was before we were on the DNCR.

I would say that this made it clear that the DNCR is a scam in itself at best, and part of the worldwide spam problem at worst.

My experience shows me that it is actually worse than that - it is BOTH.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Where did I imply that the DNCR was an app?

Certainly that was not my intention.

The main intention was to express the fact that the DNCR is a list available to anyone, and so the scammers love to use it as a way to get real working numbers of people who think that scammers won't be calling them anymore.

My guess is that the DNCR is actually part of the whole scam, and exists to provide scammers with these numbers.

As I have stated here and other threads, I have proof that the scam calls multiplied by four times the month after our number was placed on the Do Not Call list.

After about a year of this extreme telephone terrorism, I requested that our number be pulled off of the lists, both the federal and state DNCR.

After some time, the calks actually decreased, something close to what it was before we were on the DNCR.

I would say that this made it clear that the DNCR is a scam in itself at best, and part of the worldwide spam problem at worst.

My experience shows me that it is actually worse than that - it is BOTH.

There is no such thing as 'Card Services'.
Credit card companies, the IRS, etc., NEVER call you over the phone.

Upvote 0

Also, in goid faith, I DID report the calls.

After about six months, I was sent multiple letters from the FCC requesting that I stop reporting these calls.

So, I did my part.
Wasted hundreds of hours meticulously recording calls and writing down all the information, then reporting it.

They had absolutely no interest in any of it.

I followed their directions and their rules, only to have the calls increase by more than 4x, and then be blown off for my efforts.

My effort was the only effort put forth in the whoke matter.
The DNCR is just another money sink made by the government to tax us more, yet benefit nobody but themselves.

The only way out is to not have a landline phone, and to restrict your mobile device to only accept calls from numbers that are in your contacts.

Upvote 0
Oh yes they do! I can't even remember how many phone calls I've received over the decades from my credit card banks. American Express called recently regarding possible fraud--it was fraud, and they immediately shut down that account and issued a new card number. They had sent alerts via e-mail and push, but I hadn't seen/acted on them yet. Bank of America did the same a few years ago. Discover called...for something....not long ago, but I can't remember what. Note that I *never* give them any information. I don't care that caller ID says "American Express" and has their correct phone number--could be spoofed for all I know. So I let them do ALL the talking, providing all the information about my account. If I ever felt any doubt that they weren't for real, I'd tell them I'll call back--and use the real phone number I have on my cards.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
The only way out is to not have a landline phone, and to restrict your mobile device to only accept calls from numbers that are in your contacts.
Neither of those would work for me. Due to my proximity to mountains, my cellular reception inside my house sucks. That's why I use my [real, old-style, hard-wired] landline for 100% of my calls at home; no dropped calls ever, no static, no sounding like you're in a tunnel...

And if I restricted calls to only numbers in my contacts, I'd be missing out on a LOT of legitimate phone calls. For example, my primary care physician called recently; I definitely *do* have his number in my contacts--but it's not the number he called from.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Neither of those would work for me. Due to my proximity to mountains, my cellular reception inside my house sucks. That's why I use my [real, old-style, hard-wired] landline for 100% of my calls at home; no dropped calls ever, no static, no sounding like you're in a tunnel...

And if I restricted calls to only numbers in my contacts, I'd be missing out on a LOT of legitimate phone calls. For example, my primary care physician called recently; I definitely *do* have his number in my contacts--but it's not the number he called from.

I have to use VOIP if I want to use a cellphone at te house, and actually most of the time actually.

With every modern change in the technology, the actual service quality gets worse.

Soon I will resort to the CB radio or two cups and a string.

My crdit card companies have told me that they only deal with snail mail- never calling customers outright.

Perhaps you have some sort of a program where they will call under some circumstances.

But the very reason that they do not call is the reason that you mention.

Upvote 0
I have to use VOIP if I want to use a cellphone at te house, and actually most of the time actually.

With every modern change in the technology, the actual service quality gets worse.

Soon I will resort to the CB radio or two cups and a string.
Yeah, I've thought about the tin can and string idea before....sure would be a lot less problem-prone.

My crdit card companies have told me that they only deal with snail mail- never calling customers outright.

Perhaps you have some sort of a program where they will call under some circumstances.

But the very reason that they do not call is the reason that you mention.
I get spoofed calls from banks all the time. I know immediately that a call is bullshit when its caller ID says a bank name I don't have an account with. But--depending on my mood--I'll pick up and play along, keeping them on the phone as long as possible before lowering the boom on them. :D But I have no issue with my real banks calling me. I know they're real because of the information they have and, as I said, I let THEM do all the talking. I won't acknowledge anything--my address, my birthdate, nothing--because if they're for real, they already have all that info, and if they're not, I'm certainly not going to give it to them. But when, for example, BofA calls and asks if a $2,071.13 charge made in Ohio yesterday was legitimate, and I log in and look at my account and there's a $2,071.13 pending charge on my card, there are only so many choices: either they're really BofA, or they're the scumbag who made the charge! No one else would likely know. In my case, all of these were legitimate, the bank in question immediately shut down the account, put fraud alerts out, and issued a new number.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones