• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spooky sounds

What sound are you hearing? Does it match one of the installed notification tones? And what message app are you using? Have you silenced notifications in that app's settings?

Sorry for all of the questions, but "I've checked everywhere I can think of" doesn't help us much because we don't know where you've thought of ;) (and we do sometimes get people who only check the system settings but not the app or vice-versa).

I do have one app installed, a right piece of junk from a group of amateurs who know nothing about app development (i.e. Facebook), that currently plays one particular notification tone no matter what is set in the app or even if sounds are turned-off in the app, and I've had to silence it at the system level (Settings > Apps > app > Notifications and then set to deliver silently - menus may be different on your phone). But that's the only time I've met an app that badly written in more than a decade of using Android. If you are unlucky and your message app is like that then assuming it's SMS messages rather than something proprietary you can probably fix it by just installing a different SMS app (there is nothing special about the app the manufacturer or carrier chose to pre-install, so no reason not to change it if it doesn't do what you want).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
What sound are you hearing? Does it match one of the installed notification tones? And what message app are you using? Have you silenced notifications in that app's settings?

Thanks for all of the questions - they help a lot!
I'm trying to get notified only from my contacts - for both calls and text messages. How should I find out just which sound is playing when I get a text message? I've already checked the device settings and the app (Google Messages) settings, but at this stage, no joy. Something is generating a notification. I have another app, MacroDroid, and I hope to use it to generate all message sounds. But that won't happen until I silence all notifications. I'm currently looking into using Do Not Disturb, in case the sound that I'm hearing is baked into the system and can't be modified. So, I'm back to my original question - is there a sound "baked in" to the messaging software?

Sorry for all of the questions, but "I've checked everywhere I can think of" doesn't help us much because we don't know where you've thought of ;) (and we do sometimes get people who only check the system settings but not the app or vice-versa).

I do have one app installed, a right piece of junk from a group of amateurs who know nothing about app development (i.e. Facebook), that currently plays one particular notification tone no matter what is set in the app or even if sounds are turned-off in the app, and I've had to silence it at the system level (Settings > Apps > app > Notifications and then set to deliver silently - menus may be different on your phone). But that's the only time I've met an app that badly written in more than a decade of using Android. If you are unlucky and your message app is like that then assuming it's SMS messages rather than something proprietary you can probably fix it by just installing a different SMS app (there is nothing special about the app the manufacturer or carrier chose to pre-install, so no reason not to change it if it doesn't do what you want).

Upvote 0
The only way to know for sure which sound is playing is to try selecting a tone and then try all of the options until you recognise it (they'll play as you select them). I was hoping you'd be able to say something like "it's my default notification sound/ringtone", or else "it's a tone of some sort but not one any other app uses".

The question "is there a sound baked in to the messaging software" is a bit too generic: any such thing would be baked into the specific app, not all messaging apps. I don't use Google's Messages app (has no advantages for me, since I don't use RCS "Chat", and very poor customisation), but I've never heard of it having some unchangeable notification sound (my wife uses it and uses her own choice of notification).

However, to get notifications only from your contacts you probably will have to use Do Not Disturb settings (unless MacroDroid can do this). Notifications from contacts only is an option in Do Not Disturb, but there's nothing like that in Messages' settings.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones