• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Spots on the screen?

lightsleeper23

Android Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2011
Salt Lake City
I've had my n7 for a couple weeks now. I love it, other than the slight yellowing in one corner. But I've been noticing lately, as I go to wipe the smudges off my screen, there's spots all over it. Like from moisture. The first time I thought maybe I had a soda sitting too close and the little sprays from the bubbles popping might have gotten in it. But its happened again and again, while its been sitting in a dry place with no drinks near it. What looks like water spots, all over it, mostly on the top half. And they are very difficult to get off. Has anyone else experienced this? And should I be concerned?

FYI, I have never had this issue with any of my phones either, and they sit right next to each other.

Yeah, it does come off, but its very difficult. It has to be an external event. But it only happens to my nexus. Not my HTC, not my gfs Samsung galaxy, nor her nook color. It doesn't matter where it sits, after a few hours, there the spots are. I leave it sitting right next to my phone, both charging, and later I go back, spots. Only on the nexus. Doesn't make sense, but there it is. And like I said they are very, very hard to clean off. I have to breath on it and scrub for like 20 seconds or so, then repeat 2 or 3 times. The smudges disappear right away after the first wipe, but the spots remain until after excessive cleaning. I just don't know.

Upvote 0
This has to be one of the weirdest 'bug reports' I've read ever... I suspect M Night Shyamalan to release a movie about it sometime next year.

Thanks i try.

Seriously though i didnt know if the type of glass or screen the n7 uses is extra susceptible to spots or something so i thought id ask. Guess its only me. Might have to consider returning this.

Upvote 0
So after dealing with this for a couple months and getting more and more frustrated, I really dug in and did some more research. I was finally able to find a couple more threads out there from people who had has similar issues. 1 of them had even found some resolution, it was determined that it had something to do with a protective coating on the screen and he took it back to Staples where he purchased it and they replaced it based on his warranty. So it appears I was correct, and this is a genuine issue. I hold no ill will for the jokes made in this thread, I just thought I would let you all know that this is a real thing that is happening to these devices. I have attached a screenshot to show you the specific problem. Keep in mind I cleaned the screen before talking this photo, so there spots covering the screen are what remains AFTER cleaning it.

Attachments

• CAM00077.jpg
    CAM00077.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones