1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Spotty data service

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sghere, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Network Engineer
    IL
    Starting on the 7th, I noticed that the following apps stopped working over 3G:

Pulse Reader
    Slashdot Reader
    Appbrain

I talked to VZW tech support and they said that there was an outage affecting the midwest, but was taken care of early morning on the 8th. As of today, none of the apps will update unless I'm using WiFi.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the Revolution? When I was in the store today the Droid Charge and X2 worked fine, so either it's because the Revolution is only one of 2 phones running 2.2.2, or there's still something up.

BTW, they completely swapped my phone and SIM card, but that didn't help either.

Since I don't live in an LTE area, I have it set to CDMA only AND have done a complete factory wipe...still no dice.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    S

Advertisement

2. yankeeken

yankeeken Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    My AccuWeather app stopped working today.

3. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Network Engineer
    IL

Well, after 2 hours on the phone with VZW tech support, and being bounced from one department to another, I was FINALLY sent to their "smart" people.

They were able to get the LG Revolution and replicate the same problem and had no explaination as to what might be causing it other than it's an LG problem. Go figure....

All the apps I'm having problems with (mainly news readers and weather apps) work fine on devices running 2.2.1 and 2.3, but not 2.2.2 (which the LG Revolution is running).

I was given LG's tech support number 800-793-8896 if anyone else is interested, but was told that Gingerbread was rolling next month for this phone and maybe that would fix it. MAYBE?

Love the phone, display and having Netflix, but nothing else that I use works....so if I don't get the answers or a fix today, the phones going back. /sigh

S

4. 1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Tech @ Community College
    Spokane, WA
    Everything I use works. I have news widgets for CNN, CBS News, SI, and the Beyond Pod podcasting app. I don't use the native weather app, but the one I do use has no problem. And since I installed JuiceDefender, the battery has lasted longer too. I'm generally very happy. I may root it later, but I wanted to see what I could do just working within the system. - MarkC

5. Haxcid

Haxcid Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Well good news that 2.3 is coming.

I have issues as well. I am in Southern California. It almost acts like the data locks up. (No 4G in this area either all 3G)
    Once I restart my phone everything works for a time. Some apps have no issues at all while others wont work at all on 3G. Speed Test does not work on 3G for me at all. Most apps work but it is really spotty. Words with friends always works, calling and texting all work, only 3G and like I said it is hit and miss.

6. djembeman

djembeman Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm also running in CDMA only mode and I don't have any trouble with AppBrain. What I've had a problem with has actually been with LTE Mode on.

With LTE/CDMA Mode my phone stopped having any connectivity at all yesterday. I went to CDMA only and it is running perfectly. I'm not in a 4G area so maybe that has something to do with it? It was working fine on on both modes before yesterday.

7. Torin_93

Torin_93 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    I have this same problem accuweather didn't work right from the get go with me. :(

8. balmoral

balmoral Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Same issue here :(

9. girlsliketech2

None

Mar 18, 2011
    Female
    did these problems began around June 8th?

Many google voice users have had issues since then with google voice working properly, especially over 4G LTE. On the google help thread discussing the issue one user talked about it being an issue with IPv6. This all kinda flew over my head but maybe it'll make sense to some of you. This is what he posted:

"After a couple days of this, I decided to do some testing on the IPv6 theory. I did verify that Google no longer publishes an AAAA record (IPv6) for voice.google.com. Then I used the IPv6 and More app (available in the Market for free), and did a DIG (DNS lookup for an AAAA record in this case), and the DNS that Verizon assigns (at least the one I was receiving) was still returning an AAAA record, when it shouldn't be anymore.

Also, it seems that Verizon is assigning an IPv6 address on LTE, but it isn't usable yet.

Since Verizon's server is returning an AAAA record for voice.google.com, and presumably Google (I didn't check), and since we don't have a working IPv6 connection (even though the phone seems to think it does), those services aren't working.

Google via the web browser works after a wait because it gives up on IPv6 and then moves to IPv4 instead. The Google Voice app doesn't seem to be doing that.

If your device is rooted, I was able to get back normal operation by installing Set DNS, and changing my DNS to Google's public DNS instead (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Now I have LTE enabled and I can use Google Voice normally."

That post comes from this thread

1of7627 likes this.
  10. 1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Tech @ Community College
    Spokane, WA
    Makes sense from the Google Voice standpoint, but admittedly I'd never had thought of it. Obviously there's still some work to do on the LTE side and technical minds can't be stilled. Thanks for the information.

As for AccuWeather, I had no interest in it from the beginning and since it's a constant drain whether or not you use the widget, I let JuiceDefender block it from constantly updating. - MarkC

11. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Network Engineer
    IL

It all started (from my original post) late in the evening on the 7th and still isn't fixed. The dumbasses at VZW say it's an LG problem, and LG say it's a VZW problem. SO I returned the phone.

VZW states they don't care about 3rd party apps from the market....just as long as you are able to make phone calls then the phone is working. So yes, I got charged the $35 to swap phones out within the 14 days even though they could reproduce the problem in the store.

S

12. ezryder

ezryder Newbie
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    What phone did you get?