• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SPRecovery vs. Clockwork ***Poll Added***

Do you use SPRecovery or Clockwork

• SPRecovery

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • Clockwork Recovery

Votes: 102 74.5%

• Total voters
So if I have SPRecovery (and like it quite a bit), how do I change to CWMod Recovery? Is it just a matter of downloading Rom Manager and flashing it? Or do I have to get rid of SPR first?

You don't have to get rid of SPR, you just flash over top of it. Either with ROM Manager, or good ol ADB.

I just pulled the trigger on ROM Manager Premium. If you can't beat em ... well, you know. :eek:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No question here for me. Clockwork Recovery is superior.

1. You dont have to rename to update.zip its a convenience thing and I am lazy
If I want to install a rom and a kernel I can without having to reboot into recovery a second time or mounting my sd card.
2. Ability to format /system and /boot without using adb.
Its just a lot easier to be sure that you are starting with a clean slate
3. Clockwork has the ability to toggle on or off whether zips need to be signed.
I make changes to roms a lot of the time before I install them saves me time not having to worry about resigning them
4. Rom Manager is a GUI for clockwork. Despite that fact that most in this thread seem to hate it Rom manager is nice and easy to use. I can download and install a rom while at a stop light in the car if I want. Not something you could not easily do with SPR and browsing forums.
Rom Manager also makes it easy to rename, and delete backups. For those complaining about the price the free version is very functional and $3.99 or whatever it costs is not much. If no one purchases stuff from devs then how long before they move onto something else.

5. Clockwork has actual support from the dev. If you have a problem koush will help you out and update the recovery. When was the last update to SPR?
+5

Counldn't have said it better myself (well; it's more like I'm too lazy to type all that, hence I'm too lazy to do most of the work for SPR too, lol).

Upvote 0
I agree.

SPRecovery always works, I've never even flashed Clockwork, all the options seems convenient, but there is so much more room for error.

How hard is it to rename a file to update.zip anyway?

So here is my deal, what am I actually renaming to update.zip?

I downloaded a rom to fix my wifi and overclock the cpu just a bit, and the file i have, has three folders in it.

kernal
META-INF
system

Am I supposed to zip all those up and rename to update.zip?

or each individual folder, I am a novice here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I can go back & forth from SPR to CW without a single issue. And I don't wipe any partitions either. Just flash! :)

Okay I "just flashed" and successfully installed CWRecovery. I went to make a backup of my current state and it rebooted. Took forever to come back to life. Is this normal? Did the backup work? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Did you see it doing the backup?

Nope. I guess it just rebooted right after I named the backup. Huh. Took forever to boot up, I thought it was in a loop for a long time but she pulled out of it. Do I have to x+power to get to CWRecovery or will it boot up from Rom Manager?

I've been scouring the net for a tutorial, that's how I learn best, but the information is pretty sparse out there...

Upvote 0
Wow, that was a FAIL. I guess I'll try it again. Not looking to flash any ROMs, but I know that I need my current state backed up pronto.

It's not rebooting into recovery on its own. It just goes straight to the normal boot up (takes forever though)

Before you try again, go into ROM Manager and select "Flash Alternate Recovery" (near the bottom), wait for it to tell you it was successful, then go back to the top and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" then try making your backup again.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
No question here for me. Clockwork Recovery is superior.

1. You dont have to rename to update.zip its a convenience thing and I am lazy
If I want to install a rom and a kernel I can without having to reboot into recovery a second time or mounting my sd card.
2. Ability to format /system and /boot without using adb.
Its just a lot easier to be sure that you are starting with a clean slate
3. Clockwork has the ability to toggle on or off whether zips need to be signed.
I make changes to roms a lot of the time before I install them saves me time not having to worry about resigning them
4. Rom Manager is a GUI for clockwork. Despite that fact that most in this thread seem to hate it Rom manager is nice and easy to use. I can download and install a rom while at a stop light in the car if I want. Not something you could not easily do with SPR and browsing forums.
Rom Manager also makes it easy to rename, and delete backups. For those complaining about the price the free version is very functional and $3.99 or whatever it costs is not much. If no one purchases stuff from devs then how long before they move onto something else.

5. Clockwork has actual support from the dev. If you have a problem koush will help you out and update the recovery. When was the last update to SPR?

For those saying they hate when it doesnt boot into recovery. Thats cause of a screwup during the flashing process. If you flash either an old CW or SPR then flash back to CW it will work. I have the same problem when I flash SPR i can no boot into recovery most times.
Nice post. Thanks for providing reasons as to why you prefer one over the other. I'm a bit indifferent, myself, but have found myself leaning more towards clockwork for one or two of the listed reasons.

Upvote 0
I prefer SP for its speed vs clockwork, but i will say that most of my complaints about clockwork are more rom manager issues more then clockwork itself. (rom manager loving to fail installations when it reboots to CW but i can install it fine from the zip manually.) Honestly i use both now depending on what i need to install.

Upvote 0
I have used ROM manager before but never figured out how to switch between recoveries, how do u do it? Also can u name your backups in CW? When I used it you couldn't.

Just click on "Flash ClockwodMod Recovery" and verify that you do in fact have a Droid when prompted. It does the rest all by itself. Almost TOO easy. And yes, you can name your backups.

Upvote 0
Just click on "Flash ClockwodMod Recovery" and verify that you do in fact have a Droid when prompted. It does the rest all by itself. Almost TOO easy. And yes, you can name your backups.

ok, but if i wanted to go back to sprecovery, ppl say they can very easily with ROM manager, how do u do that?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it, after I flash CW it will then show up with the option to go back to sprecovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones