1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Sprint 4G]Can you force 4g mode?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by Adar, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member

I am running into an odd situation. My 3g speeds are terrible. Nothing new here. Even with full bars, right now I am averaging 250kbps. In the same spot, with 4g I get 5+mbps. The problem I am having is, my phone keeps sticking to 3g. I assume it is because the 3g signal is 1bar strong get than my 4g signal. I am at 5 or 6 bars with 3g,and on 4g I have 4 or 5 bars. Nothing I do will make it switch to 4g for more than a few seconds.

My mobile data setting g's are set to LTE/CDMA. I also tried setting it to automatic but saw no change. This is really annoying. Even with a lower signal on 4g, my speed is significantly better than 3g at full signal. Am I missing some setting? Oh, and in case it matters, I have also tried re-running the update PRL followed by update profile. This on Sprint and the latest OTA that rolled out a few days ago. I don't THINK that update is related, since it was supposed to be mostly for the HD Voice, but I haven't had this problem before taking that update. I decided to post this outside of the thread for that update, because I'm not sure it is related, but also because if there IS a way to do this, others might want to know it.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You may be able to force it to LTE. Access the "testing" menu by opening the dialer and typing *#*#4636#*#* (no need to press "call" or anything after that). If your provider hasn't removed it, when you enter the final * you'll be taken to a menu called "testing". Be careful what you do here - don't alter things if you don't know what they do, as there are options you'd not like and it probably won't ask for confirmation of changes.

Select "Phone Info". Inside there there's an option to select preferred network type. This includes a longer list of options than the phone's menu offers - on mine it includes settings that the hardware doesn't even support (such as CDMA + LTE/EvDo Auto, while I have a GSM handset!), but on mine the option list includes LTE Only. If you also have that option you can try it if you like, and it should do what it says (as I've not got an LTE contract there's no point my trying).

Remember that if this works you will have no voice service while in that mode.

3. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member

I will have to look at that menu and see what options I have. Disabling voice service to get around this is a bit on the drastic side, and I would really prefer not doing that. At least it is something though, if something came up where I absolutely NEEDED to do something on the internet.

I just wish it was more like my Evo3D. The 4G antenna had a toggle to turn it on or off. If you turned it on, the only time it would roll back to 3G was if you entirely lost your 4G signal. Of course, that was also WiMax, and I very seldom was ever in an area that HAD Wimax, so I don't know for sure how well it worked as far as staying on 4G.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I admit I'd have expected it to be LTE preferred, and only fall back when no signal, as happens with 3g vs 2g by default. But I've no experience with LTE.

My understanding is that voice over LTE is not available yet (expect it in 2014), which is why forcing LTE would cut off voice.

5. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member

Your understanding is exactly what mine was. In fact, that is how it has always worked for me before, in this specific location even. Today is the first day that this has started happening. I don't have any explanation for it. Even if it HAD been related to the last OTA for the One, I did that update the day it was released, and was happily using 4G in this location Moday and Tuesday.

I suppose there could be something weird going on with the towers here. I just figured I would check with the geniuses here first. :) I'm no dummy when it comes to technology, but the people here have WAY more understanding of how this stuff works than I do. :) I appreciate the suggestion, even if it isn't a solution I really want to use.