1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sprint: Android 2.1 coming to Moment first half of next year

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by indiana jones, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Soundwave

Soundwave Lurker

Yeah- god forbid they give us the ability to remove the Bejeweled demo, or useless NFL apps. The moment is so close to being a perfect phone for me.. but almost all my problems with it (save a notification LED) seem like software glitches they could iron out, and probably already have in 2.x. So it's a vanilla port of android 2.x which is already out- what is Sprint/Samsung doing right now? It would seem like there's minimal work to be done- yet it'll take another 1/2 year? Is there only one part-time guy between sprint and samsung working on this update?

It doesn't all add up, unless there's something else they are doing that would take 6+ months of time to test.. something a little more entrenched in the OS. I'm sure whatever it is, the only guarantee is that it won't be a benefit to the end user.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert

Kinda fond of the nfl app. If I'm called into work during game time, it's nice I can watch it on the phone.

And maybe the maintenance release will fix the soft key lights to properly light for notifications. Then someone can create an app to allow us to customize it to our needs.

3. ABH

ABH Member

I have a queasy feeling in my stomach that we are being made to wait because of the Hero. Sprint probably wants to update all their Android phones at one time to simplify things for their own Customer Service folks. Thanks to HTC's user interface their port will obviously take longer.

Or maybe it's just the cheap Mexican food I had for lunch...

4. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert

that's going under the assumption that Samsung is on top of things. They've already shown they can screw up a simple maintenance release by wrongfully having a non working version available from their Studio software. What makes you think they're on top of 2.1? At least HTC's MR fixed more than it broke and they got it out rather quickly. The same can't be said here.

I'm putting my money on the HTC Espresso next year when the 1yr with the Moment is up. Then I'll sell my Hero and keep the Moment as backup.

5. I agree that we are waiting for the hero. It should take next to no time to put the new version on the phone since its just stright android. Ill bet that the hero gets it first and then the Moment will. They will probly do this because they dont want the Moment to have anything over the hero.

6. toefer

toefer Member

I doubt HTC is holding it up. There were all those leaked photos of HTC running 2.0 (or 2.1?) so I think they're on top of their stuff.

It's more likely that Samsung is dragging their feet on the update, since they have newer phones that run (or will be running) the old firmware.

It's most likely that Sprint could be holding things up with having to update all the Sprint crap apps on the phone.

7. arashed31

arashed31 Newbie

Doesn't Samsung come out with like 6 phones a week? Aren't they also working on making their own Bada OS? They're doing way too much for their own good, and now they can't keep track of their own phones. Samsung is beginning to turn into Nokia. Nokia's already tripped on it's own feet, Samsung's shoe laces just got untied.

It seems to me that when companies get too big, they fall apart.

8. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast

Samsung is the largest corporate conglomerate in the world and the largest electronics manufacturer. They make cell phones, televisions, ships, refrigerators, skyscrapers, textiles, etc., etc.

I don't think that at this point there's much worry that they're spreading themselves too thin as they seem to be doing ok with multitasking.

Now, it's possible that their cell phone division itself might have some issues.

9. ftlboriqua

ftlboriqua Lurker

I am within my 30 days of buying my moment n yes was seriously considering trading it for the hero. The reason was the obvious bat problem(using a task killer has helped to some degree) also I was quite disappointed that there was no immediate upgrade for the operating system. Besides those problems I am really enjoying my phone. I love the android system n anxious to see the future in this market.

10. MrGadget256

MrGadget256 Member

Couple more days till 2010, would be nice to see an 2.1 update. Oh yeah, Q2:mad:

11. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert

I could actually do without the 2.1 rants and just focus on the maintenance release for now. We know it's out there. I guess we're just waiting for it to be stable. I'm actually planning to switch to my Hero when I go away for new year's so I can update it (since it needs to be active for it) and leave the Moment at home. At least the only thing screwed up in the Hero update is the ability to use paid apps which is fine by me. I like the free ones and am willing to donate if I think they're keepers anyway.

12. sycor

sycor Well-Known Member

Ignorance is bliss I guess. From wiki "Android is a mobile operating system running on the Linux kernel. It was initially developed by Android Inc., a firm later purchased by Google, and lately by the Open Handset Alliance."

Guess what? Sprint is a founding member of the OHA. So really, Sprint was pretty much first.

13. MrGadget256

MrGadget256 Member

Ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant, the rest of us have to suffer because they are idiots.

Samsung Moment Forum

The Samsung Moment release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1440mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews