1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Sprint Android Worldphone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by marlinspike, Aug 3, 2010.

1. marlinspike

marlinspike New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Hello,

I'm happy with my Sprint service, and would like to get an Android phone from there -- one of my major criteria is that it must be a World-Phone, capable of being used in Europe and Asia.

Any idea when Sprint may introduce an Android World-Phone?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I heard that Samsung Epic will have a sim slot.

3. Bitbang3r

Bitbang3r Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    If it does, it would likely be a CSIM slot (CSIM = R-UIM's successor... a superset of GSM SIM, and optional subset of UMTS USIM). All that means in terms of global roaming is that if Sprint gives us our Epic4G phones with a CSIM in them, you MIGHT able to use your CSIM in a GSM phone in a foreign country to make voice calls, send/receive text messages, and use GPRS (but not UMTS... that requires a USIM, which a Sprint CSIM *could*, but probably *wouldn't* be), have that phone ring when someone calls your Sprint number, and get raped by the roaming charges.

The immediate advantage of having a CSIM slot in the Epic4G would be the ability to buy a second one to use for kernel development purposes or experimentation, and switch between them at will without having to pay Sprint ~$20/month for a second line/number sharing the same minute pool. Though knowing Sprint, if there's a way for them to semi-immutably associate a specific CSIM card with a specific phone and make the whole thing moot, I'm sure they'll find a way to do it.