1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sprint announces Android 2.0 for Hero in 1st half of 2010

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by UTnick, Dec 11, 2009.

1. nick325i

nick325i Android Enthusiast

+1

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nick325i

nick325i Android Enthusiast

You never had a winmo phone have you?

3. cswee10582

cswee10582 Member

Oh, I've had Winmo, and that was even worse, i think it was almost 8 months for verizon to move from 6.0 to 6.1 with my omnia...then I finally left...on the point of apple and palm users not having to wait, well it's most likely alot easier to release an OS update when the company that makes the OS makes the phone, not to mention there are only 2-3 models of the phone. Android has what? 18 different phones? thats what makes android great, you have a choice, do you want a qwerty? do you want an entry level phone? do you want cube UI? do you want a huge screen and a super fast processor? What megapixel cam do you want? Android has so many more 'hoops' to jump through when making a release/update....And i'd rather wait for a carrier to do their testing before i get all whiney about them taking their time, yeah some of the 2.0 feature are great, but what if you end up with worse battery life than you had before? Just give it time!

I'd say if you want your updates fast...go get an iphone or palm...

Chris

4. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Extreme Android User

woudnt one assume since the hero is gettiing it that the touch would too?

5. cc82

cc82 Newbie

So if you want a phone OS that is only directly tied to the hardware manufacturer, then you'd have an iPhone or Pre, and wouldn't bother posting here, right?

Honestly 1.5+Sense already does a lot of what 2.0 does... I can can wait a few months for HTC to optimize 2.0+Sense... it's not like the Hero in it's current state is defective... for me it works perfectly well.

6. tiatool

tiatool Newbie

I'm patient and can wait. Glad they are putting out an update.

7. cooolone2

cooolone2 Android Enthusiast

For some, the glass is always 1/2 empty. Even when the update comes those same ppl will still have critical views because the damned phone couldn't wash their car for them... lolz...

Oh, and for you malcontents... Apple lovers! YES, Apple did make you wait for updates, gimme a break!

Two interesting things though, one is that Sprint actually came out and announced a commitment to updating the phone which is still leaving me in a state of shock, lol... and two that they announced it so early, 2 months after the phones release, all I can say is WOW!!!

Remember too, there are a dozen or more Android handsets slated for release next year and you could be sure they will update us so that we wouldn't feel like we lost out by supporting the platform so early. The OS on the CDMA phones is a mess, largely code from the GSM models the FORCED to work, so it is a total re-write of the OS (2.x) for these phones and that is a good thing. With the promises of increased functionality and resolution of issues we should all be thankful and appreciative they are actually supporting what they have and not just looking forward to what is to come.

Awesome, I can wait because I don't have the issues some seem to have. So 1st half is very vague(a good thing), I'm sure in a month or so the complaints will continue and continue about not receiving it yet, but whatever! I was impressed with the maintenance release and will be more so when the OS release is out.

Happy Trails!

8. bossyman15

bossyman15 Newbie

wait maybe the reason the update are so late is because sprint had to HARD install the sprint crapp on the phone?

maybe that's it.

9. *JonnyB*

*JonnyB* Member

This is soo true, your right, i think were all forgetting that our Hero is only 2 months old!
    When the iPhone 3GS came out, it said it was going to get MMS and tethering, and 6 months later it got MMS, but it hasn't even got tethering!
    Im glad that Sprint is saying it so early because 2 months is not long at all. I'm just hoping that the update comes out around the 1H and not the end of it.(if that makes sense)

10. zombdroid

zombdroid Android Enthusiast

+1

If Sprint does release a new hero between now and June 2010, we will probably never see an update. It would be nice, but I am not banking on it.

11. marcelo0292

marcelo0292 Member

I think Sprint is saying that the update will be released before 1H because there are a lot of people who are pressuring them and the announcement is just for the people who keep asking and asking. Sprint wont wait that long, the update will come in a couple of months. Sprint said this so people stop pressuring them.

Just be glad that they came out and said something :)

12. flexte

flexte Member

Not only should you not have commented but you definitely dont need to tell someone how to feel. Im not happy with it yet its not going to change my life. :cool:

13. peestandingup

peestandingup Newbie

There's a lot of fanboys here making excuses for this I see. I guess you guys like your OS to have to pass through 3 different entities before it reaches your handset. More power to you guys.

BTW, I hate the iPhone & had the Palm Pre too & took it back. I like Android, but am under no delusions about some of these hangups it has. They're obvious problems that need to be ironed out.

Liek I said, the tech world moves FAST, phone tech even faster, so by the time this actually reaches your phone, it'll be old news & they'll likely already have the replacement for the current Hero. Its a problem.

14. MrMattux

MrMattux Well-Known Member

Thing is we pretty much already knew this from yesterday's tweet. It's almost sure this will happen in January, but telling us first half of 2010 is so corporate bull. Makes me angry sometimes. Oh well, it's a phone.

15. cooolone2

cooolone2 Android Enthusiast

I might be in agreement with you. They make the statement to get people to calm down and it only has the opposite effect, a shark feeding frenzy. The 1st half leaves them plenty of wiggle room if something should turn up bad.

Also, with the sheer number of Android Phones about to hit the market (including MORE on Sprint) I would imagine it will be a good play to get the 2.x released prior to those units coming in with 2.x (or better?), lol...

I don't know, I came from a Palm & WinMo device that was abandoned by All of them. No support, no updates, etc., basically you were screwed until you could or would get a new handset. I really am impressed that the market pressures are inducing them all to respond to customer pressure for a change!
    Makes you wonder how much Google is behind the push? Because that really is the only NEW element to the equation... HTC, Sprint have been playing this game for a while, Google has an interest in this succeeding, lol...

Just some thoughts on the subject...
    :)

16. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member

Neither HTC or Sprint is under any obligation whatsoever to upgrade the Hero's OS. The phone was sold as an Android 1.5 device and the only thing they have to do is make that OS work right. We all bought the phone anyway because we had to have Android NOW and any understanding that we'd get an OS upgrade was either assumed or based on rumor.

Now Sprint has finally committed to the update and some of you are pitching a fit because you can't have it right now.

Simply amazing! :thinking:

17. cswee10582

cswee10582 Member

I didn't think i was telling people how to feel, i was stating a fact, people are whining! I read it myself...but lets stop bickering over this and just enjoy the phone ok? jeez, it's only 2 months old and they've already updated it once to fix some of the bugs, it's not perfect and i've come to expect every phone to have it quirks/problems...if it was perfect i guess we wouldn't be here now doing this back and forth...lets just keep our fingers crossed and enjoy the phone/OS because this is like heaven compared to Winmo! I havn't EVER had to do a battery pull on this phone in the 2 months i've had it and i've only had it reboot/crash once.

Thank you for reading...

Chris

18. ItsDon

ItsDon Member

Couldn't have said it better. All Sprint owes us is a working 1.5 and that's it. Anything else is gravy.

BTW by 'working' I mean as best they can get it and right now it is just a MR or two away. ALL phones have issues, there isn't a perfect one out there.

19. acp

acp Android Expert

I have no idea if I'm being lumped into the "bitching" group because of my comments, but I shouldn't be if I am.

I simply said that it is sad that Android has become a battle for carriers to sell more phones and be the first carrier with an updated OS.

I do not blame Sprint and I think 1.5 with Sense is AMAZING, 2.0 is not that impressive to me; however, it would be cool to get updates as soon as they are available from google.

20. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member

You'd never know it by their awful Marketplace. :mad: It's a bad joke to app developers and tech reviewers.

Pete

21. peestandingup

peestandingup Newbie

No, actually Sprint owes you the ability to make calls & have data on your phone. They're your carrier you know. They didnt make the phone nor the OS.

Smartphones are different than your regular old dumbphones. Its expected & presumed, esp these days, that updates will come & your phone will be supported (kept in the loop) for the lifespan of the phone. Esp considering you forked over big bucks for it & the fact that they dont expect you to officially upgrade your device for 2 years.

And what I find "simply amazing" are some of you apologetic types trying to pass off stuff like this as not a big deal. Smartphones need to be kept fresh, period. And that means getting updates. If some of you are happy with keeping 1.5 on there for the rest of your phones life, great, grand, have at it & never update. But the majority of users deserve more.

Besides, this phone aint exactly what I would call "snappy" in its current form & can be quite the dog, so its due for an update in the worst way IMO.

22. acp

acp Android Expert

wait a second

it's ok to bitch about the market, but not lack of OS updates? oh my friggen head

people are simply anxious because of the fact that 2.0 is on a phone already, it's not like everyone is waiting for the update

app developers and tech reviewers are also knocking Android as a whole due to the fact that there are multiple versions running on phones and apps are not compatible on all versions

23. ItsDon

ItsDon Member

My phone makes calls and has data. It also does everything it was promised to do when I bought it. It's also faster now than when I bought it thanks to the latest MR. I, like everyone else who owns a Hero, had 30 days to decide to keep it or return it based on what it was when we bought it, not what we 'hoped' it would be. We can expect Sprint/HTC/Google to update the heck out it but they don't 'have' to.

I'd really like Chevy to put that brand new, updated motor in my truck too but Chevy doesn't have to. Sure would be nice if they did!

24. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member

Heh... :D

The Hero is your first smart phone, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Pete

25. misplacetexan

misplacetexan Newbie

Actually they owe none of us Hero owners' anything. If you go buy a computer and you want the latest and greatest software upgrade, you have to buy the latest software for your computer. All my previous smartphones, I never received any upgrade on my OS system. You should be happy, that we are receiving an OS upgrade for free.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews