• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint announces Android 2.0 for Hero in 1st half of 2010

so sometime before june 30th 2010 :(

yes i'm glad sprint said something but c'mon can you be any more vague? i was expecting at least a 1st Q general release date, but 1st half? sigh. we're on a modified 1.5 and to help our wait we heard they'd pass up 1.6 and go straight to 2.0, sweet! well its not as exciting when you hear the update can be as far as 6 months away when the droid had it at release a month ago. what is holding back 2.0 to the point of a 6 month window, it can't just be the damn sense can it?

i'm not pissed, just very disappointed. i love this phone and haven't had any problems with it since the update. i HATE the sprint nav and uninstalled it after rooting lol, so now looks like ill have to wait to use google nav and admire my friend's droid using it for the meantime. it would be nice to update google maps but nope its 1.6 and up. how about google goggles? nope, can't use that either. i tried pairing with my friend's droid but after trying to troubleshoot i learn the file transfer app requires +1.6.

the hero is my favorite android phone, its second only to the droid (i prefer the hero) and its only 2 months old.... which is why it especially sucks being confined to such an old version of a great OS. if the hero was running 2.0 HTC/Sprint would be selling a lot more of them.

Upvote 0
Well, that truly sucks. Im kinda glad I sold my Hero now.

This is why I've never been a fan of the Sense UI (or any fancy smancy UI on top of Android). The company takes a lot longer to push out updates. Even though 2.0 is cooked & ready to go, they gotta lay their own crap on top of it. Its stupid, esp considering a lot of people could really care less about Sense.

Point is, 6 months is a helluva long time in the tech world, esp mobile phones. By that time, it'll be old news.

Upvote 0
Well, that truly sucks. Im kinda glad I sold my Hero now.

This is why I've never been a fan of the Sense UI (or any fancy smancy UI on top of Android). The company takes a lot longer to push out updates. Even though 2.0 is cooked & ready to go, they gotta lay their own crap on top of it. Its stupid, esp considering a lot of people could really care less about Sense.

Point is, 6 months is a helluva long time in the tech world, esp mobile phones. By that time, it'll be old news.

It's coming for the Moment as well and that is just vanilla Android so we cant be blaming Sense UI in this case.

Upvote 0
It's coming for the Moment as well and that is just vanilla Android so we cant be blaming Sense UI in this case.
Thats true, but I still bet Moment gets it first. What could the holdup be then I wonder? I mean, this was kinda the big selling point of Android. It being an open platform & able to run on so many devices. This would be like if when Windows 7 came out, Dell told you that you'd have to wait until they made their version of Win 7 available.

This is why hardware phone makers who opt to put Android on their devices need to concentrate on hardware & leave the software to Google.

I understand some basic drivers & minor tweaks here & there, but those dont take long.

Upvote 0
when the Eris has 2.0/2.01 in early 2010 and we are sitting with 1.5 until May - June, it will be obvious it's not just about Sense
I'd like to remind you that January 1st, which is only 21 days away, is in the 1st half of 2010. No, I don't expect to get a 2.0 update on January 1st, but I also don't think we'll have to wait until May - June. My guess is Sprint is being extra conservative with their estimates and I can't blame them. It's not like we're a friendly bunch when they don't meet our schedule and heaven forbid if they don't meet their own.

Pete

Upvote 0
Wow was it that hard to see my exaggeration of an expected release date? It's annoying to see a great thing like android become political, so defend sprint until your face is blue, I will stick to observing the obvious game this whole endeavor has become and verizon has the upper hand...personally, I do not care about getting 2.0, my phone does everything I want right now and there is nothing in 2.0 that impresses me.

Upvote 0
I must say from reading the posts here, some people will never be happy! When they update us to 2.0 there will plenty of whiners here to complain that they don't have 2.x yet and so on...lets just be happy with what we have and are getting!
Its not "whining" dude. People paid a lot for their phones (and a lot per month), put up with a lot of quirks & issues, etc. They should be able to use the latest OS for their phone. Its ready to go.

Not to mention, do iPhone owners have to wait months for their OS update even though its been released? Nope. Palm webOS users? Nope. Thats because they get their updates directly from the OS maker.

Which is the problem with Android. You're dealing with 3 different entities with the Hero (Sprint, Google & HTC). For the OS, there only needs to be one, and thats Google. Google's done their part, 2.0 is already out. But now Sprint or HTC (or both) says you have to wait until they do Lord knows whatever the F they gotta do to it. Its stupid & unnecessary.

Like I said, phone makers need to stick with building hardware, that is unless they're the OS maker too (which HTC isnt. Its just their slightly tweaked UI). And carriers need to do nothing more than provide me with service & data.

This is the problem with Android. Its got too many hands up its skirt. It only needs one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones