• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint auto-dialed 411 scam!?

zdaxxy

Lurker
Feb 22, 2010
I have the HTC Evo 4G and I was getting charges on a daily basis dialed out to 411. I checked my call log and it showed nothing. I called Sprint CS at 611 who end up telling me "Sorry cant help you" and hung up on me. Called back and was told nothing could be done during the middle of the billing cycle. I was also told they have nothing to do with 411 or the charges (yet they appear on my "Sprint" bill so someone has something to do with it) I was also told the only way I was to get charged for 411 calls was to actually call 411. I talked to a supervisor at 411 and found out that I actually got charged to call 411 to ask to a supervisor!! WTF!!?!? Talked to Sprint 611 again who told me they auto-charge for every time you dial 411 even if you do not connect or talk to anyone or get a number. SO that means they are billing for services non-rendered, again WTF!!?!? I told them to block 411 and they said they can not. I told them I refused to pay for 411 calls I did not make and they told me if I did not pay my bill they would cut my phone off (bitch!) I'd like to put rocks in a glove and smack her ass with it. I do not understand how they can get away with theifing my money like that. I might as well send Sprint a bill for items I never mailed to them and them tell them they have to pay it because I have a bill with their name on it!
Anyone else having any false charges showing up on their bill randomly?
Apps making phone calls at will in the background maybe?

I have checked and re-checked the few apps I have (compass, lottery, free tetriss) None of them are listed as requesting permission to dial-out, just stuff like access to sd card, and keep display from going to sleep. Makes me very wary about download any apps though too. They still wont tell me anything about the calls yet but I am still pushing the issue with them. I want full documentation from them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones